Power On , Power Off, Sleep

WGI

Reaction score
What is the maximum number of hours the power should be left on, on a imac c2d and should the mac be put to sleep at night or turned off. I have been turning it off at night but maybe its better to just put it to sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Macs were designed to be left on at all times. If you are power conservative then it would be best to put it to sleep.. And the occasional restart will help performance..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
At the end of the day it doesn't matter. If you don't mind the few seconds it takes to boot in the morning, you may as well save power by shutting down. If there's something you particularly want to keep running, then leave it on overnight only when you actually need to.

Reaction score
Maintenance routines are set to run overnight, so some people leave their Mac on 24/7 so this is run. I installed Macaroni so maintenance routines are run when the screensaver's active. I sleep my Mac at night, wake it about 6.30am, initiate the screensaver (mine's set to come on when I put the mouse cursor in the bottom left corner of the screen) then go and make a cup of coffee. By the time I come back it's all done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There is one real benefit to putting your Mac to sleep vs. power on / power off. You have probably noticed that after you have loaded an app for the first time after a power on, all subsequent reloads of that app are MUCH faster, since part or all of it is still cached in RAM.

If you put your Mac to sleep each night and awaken it again each morning, you preserve this behavior and all your most used apps just "snap" into being when you start them anew. I love this incredibly fast response, and so I use the sleep/wake cycle on my Mac. About once a week I reboot just as a form of clean up.

That would be my recommendation - saves power AND delivers blazing fast start up times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.66Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HD intel dual core
There is one real benefit to putting your Mac to sleep vs. power on / power off. You have probably noticed that after you have loaded an app for the first time after a power on, all subsequent reloads of that app are MUCH faster, since part or all of it is still cached in RAM.

If you put your Mac to sleep each night and awaken it again each morning, you preserve this behavior and all your most used apps just "snap" into being when you start them anew. I love this incredibly fast response, and so I use the sleep/wake cycle on my Mac. About once a week I reboot just as a form of clean up.

That would be my recommendation - saves power AND delivers blazing fast start up times.

I just got a mac mini a few days ago and was wondering about this feature, I always shut down my PC...thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Yes sleep all the way although I find that a restart is useflu every 10 days or so as somethings do start to slow down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.