Buying more RAM for a macbook?

Reaction score
I bought my macbook in September and it only has 1 gb of RAM. I would like to buy some more, but I'm not sure what exactly I need and where I should get it from? What is a good website to buy RAM? How much should I buy?

Thanks!

Reaction score
G'day again sunshine1686,

This forum has loads of information about RAM upgrades. If you perform a quick search you'll uncover the best places to shop online and more info on how much you can install and what type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
Im unsure about the core duo macbooks (they may be 533mhz chips but should still accept 667mhz) but the core 2 duo macbooks take DDR2 667mhz (PC2-5300) 200-pin sticks. You will want to get two 1gig sticks for 2gigs of ram and dual channel capability or just one 1gig stick for 1.5gigs of ram but no dual channel capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145157

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
This is the memory I bought for my MacBook (2.0 GHz, Core Duo). I bought two of these sticks, to be precise.

As stated above, do a search on "macbook memory" and you will see lots and lots of recommendations from the people who frequent these forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the memory I bought for my MacBook (2.0 GHz, Core Duo). I bought two of these sticks, to be precise.

As stated above, do a search on "macbook memory" and you will see lots and lots of recommendations from the people who frequent these forums.

Why spend almost $50 more on the same thing (I have never heard of 'other world computing')?

The macbooks are intel-based so there is no 'special' memory required. If you want the best memory for your laptop them search for memory with good timing numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
OWC is a well-respected, longtime vendor in the Mac community. I dealt with them for all our corporate Mac purchases in the early to mid 1990s, and since I got back to the Mac world I'm happy to recommend them to others.

When I bought my MacBook memory, OWC's price was the best out there. This was months ago, and prices fluctuate weekly in this business.

No, you don't need "special" memory for a MacBook. The question was "where to buy" and that was my answer. My recommendation to sunshine was to use the "Search" function to see what his/her options are, and didn't merit any sniping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OWC is a well-respected, longtime vendor in the Mac community. I dealt with them for all our corporate Mac purchases in the early to mid 1990s, and since I got back to the Mac world I'm happy to recommend them to others.

When I bought my MacBook memory, OWC's price was the best out there. This was months ago, and prices fluctuate weekly in this business.

No, you don't need "special" memory for a MacBook. The question was "where to buy" and that was my answer. My recommendation to sunshine was to use the "Search" function to see what his/her options are, and didn't merit any sniping.

On that note I am sure your previous post was found to be helpful :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.