wardriving

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
In my state (Oregon) legislation has deemed wardriving perfectly legal, stating that if the owner of the network leaves it wide open, then the public can't be held accountable if they connect to the network, since most programs connect to any available network automatically.

If anybody is serious about wardriving, the only way to go is load up Virtual PC and install Windows 2000 on it. Then download and install these programs:

NetStumbler: Wifi AP finder (PC version of MacStumbler)
Netbrute: Port scanner and NetBIOS collector
ShareScan: Port 139 browser, checks for remote files and indexs them and allows for file queuing and thread scanning
WinDHCP: Gives DHCP and IP lease information, allows quick release/renew

Have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I kinda agree that open networks are fair game. It's easy enough to secure them. But I'm not gonna go hop in my car right now and spend the night war driving :p ...But I'm not gonna ***** at people who do...

OP
P

PowerbookG417

So i decieded to look into this whole " war driving " thing a lil more and what better way to do this than try it myself. so i downloaded "Kismac" grabbed the powerbook and took off for a lil drive and while on the way to school a 10 min trip i stumbled upon 26 wireless networks in not that big of a city 17 of which had no password or encription even some of the major banks had no encription on their wireless networks.
When i first came upon this subject i was very stand offish about it i still do feel that way, but like witeshark says " I kinda agree that open networks are fair game. " not that im going to make it my weekend but if i was stuck somewhere and needed net access and it was open..i think i might just take advantage of it.

btw if you are intrested in this i tried the macstumbler program as well and didnt think it was half as good as kismac. check it out if your intrested for those super wardrivers it also has a wep encription cracker with some serious cracking abilties it looks like, and also pulls up alot of info about the network include manufacture of the router and clients connected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I see where KisMAC can be used to attack WPA encrypted networks... is THAT legal?!?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.