Why am I running out of space?

Reaction score
So I guess I screwed up when I ordered this thing last year by not upgrading the hard drive (like I did everything else) when I ordered it (Macbook). So, I now have about 500 Mb left. Here's my question: when I pull up "get info" on my hard drive icon, it shows 79.5 Gb of space used. But, when I pull up the info on what look like all the root folders (like applications, documents, music, pictures, etc..)the cumulative used space only adds up to around 50Gb. Where is all this stuff taking up my space? Is there a way to pull up a folder tree for the hard drive like in windows? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Wow, that's a lot of files. What are you storing on there? anyway, download the free program "disk inventory x" and it will help you figure out where it all is being used. It shows it all graphically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it looks like you are missing system mfiles and stuff when you are adding it up all on your own.

get diskinventory x it is a great program. most of your space is probably dvd's, mp3
-chris

Reaction score
There are a lot of invisible files and directories you cant see in the Finder that you aren't including.

OP
Qslim
Reaction score
Thanks. I got inventory x and figured it all out. Great program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.