Windows .exe applications on mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac; Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz; nVidia Geforce 7600 GT 256MB; 2GB RAM; 250GB Harddrive
Hi,

I want to run a windows application called darkbasic(see www.darkbasi.com) on my intel based mac. Only problem I have is that I have no idea which way I should go about doing this, and obviously I wnat to save as much money as possible as this is pretty much the only windows program I want to run so I don't really want to spend over $100 on running it. However, just a note, I do have a windows xp service pack 1 reinstall cd from my dell computer, if I was to use bootcmap, would this work? or do I need to buy a whole new operating system cd?

Reaction score
You'll need Windows XP install cd which has to also include SP 1 & 2. You could certainly run this app using Bootcamp or Parallels. Bootcamp is Beta so is unsupported by Apple (this could have changed recently, don't know myself) and I believe is also free but you need to reboot from XP to OS X. Parallels allows you to run XP on the desktop in it's own window and would be easier but you have to pay for Parallels.

OP
Data
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac; Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz; nVidia Geforce 7600 GT 256MB; 2GB RAM; 250GB Harddrive
is there anwya of obtaining a service pack 2 upgrade, or must you buy a whole new cd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo, 7600GT 256mb, 250GB HD, 1GB RAM
There is a program called CrossOver that allows windows .exe's to run in OSX. But it isnt the easiest thing and doesnt always work correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
If you go into the Mac Store, there is a parallel software that runs for $89. I heard something about MacWare. But I don't know if it lets you run the two OS system side by side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Depending on what the program needs, you can get away with using either Darwine or CrossOver. Darwine can be a bit of a hazzle to use, CrossOver is much easier, but costs money. Parallels works great, even though it gives you some overhead 'cause of the extra OS. You should be able to use the XP SP1, but you'll have to make a new CD.

This is what I could find on merging the CD with SP2. That requires a bit of mucking about on a windows computer though, but from the looks of it, there's no other way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.