• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where does OSX go from here?

Reaction score
I was reading an article on Mac history. Around the time of Mac OS 7 Apple started working on the new Mac OS which was called Copeland. It was going to add multitasking, memory pretection, etc, etc, to the Mac OS.

It turns out they had all sorts of problems and the project was dealyed over and over. Then Windows 95 came out - it was pretty Mac like and offered most of the features that Apple said copland would have. Many Mac users started considering Windows for the first time.

Apple was desperate and at one point even consderd buying Windows NT or Solaris and making it look Mac like - rather than create their own new operating system. As we all know they finally settled on what is now OS X.

I see history repeating itself. Windows Vista is adding many OS X features to be equal to OS X and it has few neat ideas of its own *AND* MS is alreay working on their next operating system.

So where does OS X go from here? Just keep adding new features or improvements? Or is there a possiblity of a quatum leap like the orginal Mac OS was.... maybe a new complete new OS, [like BeOS] that is made to handle video and audio, and isn't just a desktop concept for office work?

A few things I would like to see in the next OS X: multiple desktops, the ability to run each program in its own screen resolution [like the Amiga], a built in ability to view most MS Office docs.

And how about a replacement for the desktop concept finder? Maybe you would mouse over a "digital town" instead of the desktop...you would go the the civic/concert center for all Audio and Video files, and all realted programs would be there, so would all audio settings, and you would have a Offcie center, all office programs, documents and office settings would be there... this seems better than having audio files in one folder, an auido program elsewhere, and settings in another place. Oh, and each "place" could have its own screen resolution also.

Other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple was desperate and at one point even consderd buying Windows NT or Solaris and making it look Mac like - rather than create their own new operating system. As we all know they finally settled on what is now OS X.

Essentially that's what they did. The bought NeXT and turned it into OS X (and also brought Steven Jobs back to Apple).

A few things I would like to see in the next OS X: multiple desktops,
That's coming in Leopard

a built in ability to view most MS Office docs.
That's more up to MS making their document spec completely transparent.

OP
R
Reaction score
It is funny, in the early 90s Apple almost bought out another OS that was Unix based but dropped the idea at the last minute.

So OS X is getting multiple desktops? Cool. and I am surprised Vista didn't add multiple desktops to Windows... probably didn't know what Apple was going to do...

Reaction score
It should be noted that while MS is already working on their next OS (codename Vienna), they have been working on it since 2001 when it was originally called Blackcomb. Vienna/Blackcomb is a 100% total rewrite of the WindowsOS from the ground up. It isn't NT7, it is totally different. Because of delay after delay after delay Blackcomb was sidetracked and Longhorn was created so MS could bring something to market in a reasonable amount of time. Of course reasonable was supposed to have been 2004, not late 2006.

Vienna still won't be ready until after 2010. Microsoft has left a huge opening by offering Vista. Leopard has a feature set that is going to put the screws to MS on the desktop. TimeMachine alone gives Leopard a big advantage over Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
For the new features of Leopard, look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

The virtual desktops are handled by Spaces, although I have them on Tiger using DesktopManager. As for MS Office docs, I have OpenOffice and NeoOffice is coming along nicely :)

Reaction score
For the new features of Leopard, look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

The virtual desktops are handled by Spaces, although I have them on Tiger using DesktopManager. As for MS Office docs, I have OpenOffice and NeoOffice is coming along nicely :)

Yes, and MS is moving to an XML format that can be used by OpenOffice and other office apps. Several governments are forcing the issue saying they will no longer buy MSOffice if it isn't offered with an open format.

Reaction score
Yes it will. Leopard will support all Power PC machiens running a G4 or G5 processor. G3 processors are no longer supported.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sgt: Yeah, what became Vista was just going to be a small revision until whitecomb or longhorn or whateve came later with major changes.

What is timemachine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It is funny, in the early 90s Apple almost bought out another OS that was Unix based but dropped the idea at the last minute.

Are you referring to Be? That was the other option instead of NeXT. Be was actually cheaper and probably a much better system (those that ever used Be will agree with me here) than NeXT, but Gasse overplayed his hand and lost. Apple paid more for NeXT and Jobs than the highest asking price for Be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you referring to Be? That was the other option instead of NeXT. Be was actually cheaper and probably a much better system (those that ever used Be will agree with me here) than NeXT, but Gasse overplayed his hand and lost. Apple paid more for NeXT and Jobs than the highest asking price for Be.

I agree, Be was an awesome system. I still have a Be t-shirt around here somewhere. I ran it exclusively for awhile on my machine, I think starting with 4.0.

While NeXT may not have been as good and way overpriced, in the end I think it was the best move just because of the Steve Jobs Factor™. I think Apple's success is due more to Steve than to OS X itself. It's his personality and drive for perfection that makes Apple what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I agree, Be was an awesome system. I still have a Be t-shirt around here somewhere. I ran it exclusively for awhile on my machine, I think starting with 4.0.

While NeXT may not have been as good and way overpriced, in the end I think it was the best move just because of the Steve Jobs Factor™. I think Apple's success is due more to Steve than to OS X itself. It's his personality and drive for perfection that makes Apple what it is.

Ya, I would have to agree with that. Apple can't really put a price on having a guy like Steve running the place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.