iMac 17" or MacBook, 1GB or 2GB

Reaction score
I am seriously considering changing my home computer. I currently have a PC more than 6 years old, so instead I use my work laptop at home. This laptop I plan to upgrade next year to a new Core 2 Duo with Vista on it.

So, for my home I would like to try a Mac. However, I cannot decide on which mac to get. My budget is around $1000-$1300.

I will mainly be using this computer to surf the web, manage my iTunes library and iPod, rip my CDs (I would like to do this on the background, will I do something else), store my digital pictures, do some wordprocessing and spreadsheets, and maybe try to do some home video editing. I will not be doing any gaming.

However, I do like to kep my computer up to date with the latest software and try out new things, so I might be using Parallels sometimes.

Usually I buy my PCs (for work) with enough power so that they will last for about 4 years, however my home computer will have to last longer than that (5 or 6 years maybe)

I cannot decide between:
17" iMac with 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD: $1199.00
17" iMac with 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD: $1274.00
17" iMac with 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD: $1249.00
17" iMac with 1.83 GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD: $1074.00
MacBook with 1.83 GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD: $1224.00 (portability is a nice plus, but remember I will have a Vista laptop next year for work)

I guess, basically my question is: Which one should I give preference to processor speed or RAM?

And one final question. I have a IOmega 250GB external HD. Will I be able to plug it on the Mac?

Reaction score
i would go with 2ghz, 1gb ram, 250gb (#2)

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. How easy or difficult is it to upgrade RAM on an iMac. Will it void the warranty if I do it myself? I could always go for 1GB now and upgrade later to 2GB if needed (off course I would have to throw away the two 512MB dimms)

OP
L
Reaction score
Today i made my decision and purchased a 17" iMac with 2GHz, and 1GB of memory. I won't be able to play with it until after Christmas. I will let you know how it goes then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
It should be dead easy to upgrade your RAM on an iMac. It says how to do it in the manual. Doesn't void the warranty as far as I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Thanks for your responses. How easy or difficult is it to upgrade RAM on an iMac. Will it void the warranty if I do it myself? I could always go for 1GB now and upgrade later to 2GB if needed (off course I would have to throw away the two 512MB dimms)

Its very simple to upgrade RAM on an iMac. I have done it myself and im NO computer tech. You just unscrew a few screws the back will pop off and you pop in the memory.. very simple.. as far as if it will void your warranty? I doubt it would BUT i suggest you call apple and ask first befor you touch the thing. 1800-my-apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.