Help On PC-Mac Switch

Reaction score
Right now I own a 2.0 Ghz g5 Power Mac. Its served me pretty well, but I need to make the switch back to PC. Theres to many good games coming out (Bioshock, Crysis, Spore) for me to stay mac. So I am here asking for advice on how best to make the switch. I was thinking of selling my powermac (or mac pro w/e theyre calling it now a days) on ebay. I'd then keep my display so I'd just have to buy the CPU PC. Not really sure on the best way to do this though, so some help/advice would be very appreciated. Thanks ! : D

Reaction score
Making the switch back to PC is relatively easy. You won't have the learning curve involved with your original switch. Simply sell your Mac on eBay as you mention and as you are already familiar with PC's, it shouldn't be too hard to land back on your feet.

Good luck!

OP
B
Reaction score
Are there any specific PC's or video cards that aren't compatible with my apple display? I plan to use that on my PC but ive heard certain cards arent compatible with it.

Also, how do clear my hard drive to prepare it for selling ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Keep your mac and buy an Xbox 360, all of those games are coming out for it in the Spring.

Reaction score
Keep your mac and buy an Xbox 360, all of those games are coming out for it in the Spring.

This is the best option IMO. PCs have a much shorter period towards obsolescence than any console does. With a PC you have to upgrade your components every so often and you have to tweak it for the best performance. Consoles do not have the tons of overhead that a PC (or even a Mac) does when it comes to running the OS. The XBox, PS3, and especially the Wii have very streamlined OSes and are specifically geared for gaming. Lastly, a console costs significantly less than any PC that is properly equipped for gaming. A good gaming rig starts at about a grand but the really good ones easily surpass two grand. The Wii is $250 and the Xbox360 premium can be found for $399. Next week, Amazon will be selling a 1000 Xbox 360's for $100 each.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I was thinking of selling my powermac (or mac pro w/e theyre calling it now a days) on ebay.
That would seem like misrepresentation to me. A way to confuse the buyer.

Anyway. You could sell your PPC and buy an Intel Mac and have the best of both woulds. If your budget is tight then consider a refurb from the Apple online store.

If you're concerned about the video horse power options on the Mac, then you'd have to buy a Mac Pro. The low end retail version is about USD$2150.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.