• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

.Mac Account

L

London Mac nut

Hello to All!

I would like to find out if .Mac accounts allow you to have more than one e-mail address.....my good friend has just opened a .Mac account with a primary e-mail address and would like to open a new e-maill address for his Wife; can he add a second e-mail address to his .Mac account without paying extra?

Any answers appreciated. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" G5, 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 250gb HD; iPod Touch 8gb
He can add an alias email account for free, but all the mails would be received by the primary email box. So if I have [email protected] and add the alias [email protected], I can send emails from [email protected], but my emails would come into my [email protected] inbox in Mail or online. Online you can set it so that any mail that comes to the alias appears in a different color in the inbox. Did that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
thanks

He can add an alias email account for free, but all the mails would be received by the primary email box. So if I have [email protected] and add the alias [email protected], I can send emails from [email protected], but my emails would come into my [email protected] inbox in Mail or online. Online you can set it so that any mail that comes to the alias appears in a different color in the inbox. Did that make sense?

nice tip - did'nt know we had that option:mac:

OP
L

London Mac nut

I could certainly suugest to my friend the alias e-address option.....one I know how its done? Please could you advise? Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Depends on the Degree of Privacy they want, so for Instance doe she have a problem him reading her e-mails and vice-versa, or will they be using the same Mail Client on there Mac therefore not making any difference?

If they are using the same Client or don't have a problem viewing each other's E-mails then I would suggest getting an E-Mail Alias. That's what I got for My Father he just gets E-mail's from his Office and I pass them on... Saved us a few quid so that suited me.

Otherwise looks like your going to tell your mate to pay up, or maybe get a Free GMail account.

OP
L

London Mac nut

I've been in contact with my friend to ask whether privacy is a concern.....he says it is not. Can anyone advise how to set up an alias e-address please?

Many thanks for all previous replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Goto Mail
Then Preferences (top right)
At the Bottom of the Page is E-MAil Aliases
Select Edit (might be Add)
Then Just Add the Alias

Also as wafflewoman point's out above, you can set the E-mail Alias to appear with a different colour, it's handy to tell who the e-mails are for.

Hope that Helps

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
weird that it wouldn't allow a handful of distinct, discrete email addresses, especially at that price.

even my comcast high speed account offers, i believe, five email accounts/addresses that i can set up (along with lots of web space). i set my wife up a separate account from mine and we can't see each others - well, i can see her's if i want since i set up the account/password and i'm 99.9% sure she hasn't changed it.

Reaction score
You can add additional e-mail addresses to a stand alone .mac account for I believe an additional $10 per year.

You guys really need to start researching this stuff before you provide answers...

Reaction score
If you log into your account and click the "buy more" icon, you have the option to add additional e-mail addresses.

Problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.