G3 iBook w/ Bad Logic Board

Reaction score
My cousin is sending me her G3 iBook that she retired w/ a bad logic board. I'm unsure on the stats, i.e. 800 / 900 MHz processor and RAM etc.

I was wondering if the 700 / 800 / 900 boards were all interchangeable. Also, I was wondering if I would benefit from having an extra 200 MHz of processing speed. I'm wondering if I should save some money by going w/ the cheapest logicboard, and upgrading the RAM (if necessary/possible).

I plan to use this laptop for viewing .PDFs and running a local server for sharing files and printers.

Thanks ~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
To be honest with you, it will end up probably being a lot more trouble than it's worth. You have to remember that unless you're getting a great deal, finding a Logic Board in GOOD shape will be fairly expensive. You want to make sure it's in good shape because of the problems Apple had with the iBook LBs. I think there is a way you can tell which Logic Board you have (i.e. a recent one or an original lb) by loking at the serial number so that you can tell if the LB you get will end up with any of the possible problems. Just keep that in mind.

OP
R
Reaction score
Bump for more info -- still trying to decide which way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ifixit.com lists the logic board at 300 bucks, but it is out of stock....IMHO that is WAY too much money to drop on an old ibook....so once you upgrade your ram, etc like it looks like you are planning you can buy yourself the low end mini after saving a few hundred more bucks.

i'd part it out if i were you
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.