Imac Temperatures

B

Bodofooko

We got a 20in Core 2 Imac here at work the other day and it doesn't seem to be running as fast as it should. The temperature monitor says the processor core temperature is at 64C under load. I don't know a whole lot about Macs, but from what I've read Core 2s aren't supposed to go above 50c under full load and even over clocked they don't usually go above 60. I was just curious if anyone here knows what the safe operating temps are for one of these things. Not sure if its why the system is slow or not, but I'm still curious. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Your iMac may seem slow because you are running things like Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop? These things run interpreted under Rosetta, vs. running native, and thus are subjectively quite slow. Do ALL your apps run slowly, or just particular ones?

Unfortunately, I can't comment on safe operating temperatures for the C2D chips. Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
do the universal apps run fast?

like the ilife suite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
OP
B

Bodofooko

I don't personally use it, but he says it always feels slow. He was using a 2.4ghz pentium 4 before this, and he said this seems only slightly faster. Do the rosetta programs just run slow or does everything run slow when a rosetta program is open?

Thanks

Edit - We primarily noticed the slow performance when we were both rendering the same Cinema 4d image. My 3.0ghz P4 with 1G ram rendered the scene in 15.5 minutes while his took about 17 min. I don't believe Cinema 4d 8.5 is a universal program, so would running programs through rosetta cause that much slowdown?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Yes. It basically emulates the PPC processor, so it can cause quite a slowdown.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.