Installing OSX 10.4 on iBook SE 466...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Hey guys, I scored a clamshell iBook G3 466MHz on craigslist for $75 and I'm trying to install OSX 10.4 with my CD version. I upgraded from 9.0.4 to 9.1 via the Apple download, then I ugpraded the firmware. It has a 10GB hard drive installed and the DVD-ROM (I think, that's what the 466 clammies came with), and I upgraded the memory to 320MB. When I try and boot to CD (hold down C button), it comes up with the flashing finder and question mark. When I hold down Option, it comes up with only the hard drive. It reads the CD and then doesn't display the OSX Install icon; only the hard drive. When I try and put the CD in while OS 9.1 is running, I can click Install Mac OS X, and then Restart, and I get an error message that says:

An error occurred.
"Startup Disk was unable to select the
install CD as the startup disk.(-2)"

I talked with Apple support and the OS9 support sent me back to OSX, etc, but the guy that was most helpful (I think...) told me that since my clammie has a DVD-ROM, I MUST install OSX with the DVD version and that the CD version will NOT work since I have a DVD-ROM. This doesn't make much sense to me, what about you guys? Can you think of any other solutions!?!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Hi I see your Question hasn't been answered. Well i recently bought a iBook clamshell too. I think the CD version wouldn't be a trouble--but you have to use xpostfacto to install Tiger on a clamshell(Xpostfacto)
Your best bet would be Panther, thats what I am going to use.
.::.Colton.::.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.