Just some advice, on the macbook I am likely to get.

Reaction score
So in the very near future I think I will be getting a Macbook.

I have never had a mac before, but after hearing good things and being reccomended one, I decided to look into it.

I will be buying an upgraded middle class macbook:

* 2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
* 80GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)
* Keyboard (English) & Mac OS (English)
* Country kit
* 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
* Double-layer SuperDrive
* AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
* Power Adapter
* Battery

That is the laptop I will be getting If I have one.
I have heard bad things about photoshop with macs, how bad will it be on that? As I use it ... quite a lot, but not for extensive things.
Also I use dreamweaver a lot, will that run ok on it?

And basically is that setup worth the £1000 (1,892.92 USD)
Price tag that comes with it?

And can people please answer these basic questions?
How fast is start up?
Is safari a good browser? (I know I could download FF)
Is the range of products available good?

Thats all really

Thanks A lot
Josh Holder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
no, not worth it.

the new macbook (black) is $1499usd and comes with a 2ghz core 2 duo, 1gig of ram, and a 120 gig hard drive.
for $200 you can upgrade to 2gigs of ram.

I paid $1750 out the door for my black macbook with a 3-year warranty, mdvi->dvi adapter and a marware pad kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Note that Josh appears to be in the UK, where prices are probably a bit higher.

In answer to your questions:

- I don't use Dreamweaver, so I can't speak to that.

- I've used Photoshop CS2, but since it's generally overkill for what I do, I don't spend a lot of time with it. I do use Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Mac a lot, and its performance is at least as good as on my MacBook (2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM) as it was on my iBook G4 (1.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM).

- Startup from "cold" is amazingly fast. I just timed it, and from "chime" to usable interface it's under 15 seconds. The cool thing about the MacBook is that you don't have to shut down every time you're done using it: close the lid, and the Mac goes to sleep. When you open the lid, you're back in business in seconds.

- Safari is okay for general usage. I've run into some web sites (some realtor sites and the sites of some companies I do business with) that don't behave well with Safari. I keep Firefox on my dock for those places, and it's fine.

- Not sure what you mean by "range of products." I've been able to find every piece of software and accessory I've sought out.

Hope this helps!

OP
J
Reaction score
Note that Josh appears to be in the UK, where prices are probably a bit higher.

In answer to your questions:

- I don't use Dreamweaver, so I can't speak to that.

- I've used Photoshop CS2, but since it's generally overkill for what I do, I don't spend a lot of time with it. I do use Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Mac a lot, and its performance is at least as good as on my MacBook (2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM) as it was on my iBook G4 (1.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM).

- Startup from "cold" is amazingly fast. I just timed it, and from "chime" to usable interface it's under 15 seconds. The cool thing about the MacBook is that you don't have to shut down every time you're done using it: close the lid, and the Mac goes to sleep. When you open the lid, you're back in business in seconds.

- Safari is okay for general usage. I've run into some web sites (some realtor sites and the sites of some companies I do business with) that don't behave well with Safari. I keep Firefox on my dock for those places, and it's fine.

- Not sure what you mean by "range of products." I've been able to find every piece of software and accessory I've sought out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for clearing up those things.

But yes, £180 of what I am paying is VAT :eek:neye:

So Thats around say $400 of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.