Help! My macbook doesn't want to shut down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I closed the lid and then I opened it and tried to shut it down..the screen went blue but then it went back to the desktop and now the time and battery life, and all the stuff in the right hand corner are gone!! How do I fix this?? What's wrong?? I'm new to macs and I have know idea what to do

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
try holding the power button down.

also try to remember, once you issue shutdown, don't close the lid until it's completely shutdown. (i do this by accident all the time)

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I tried pushing the button and it went to the blue screen and came back to the desktop. Everything is working, except for the missing upper right side, but it doesn't want to shut down :(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
how long? did you try holding it down for some time - say 10-30 sec?

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I got it to shut down by holding the button longer. I turned it back on and everything seemed ok. The light went dim and then I touched the keys and it wouldn't brighten up again!! I restarted it (successfully) and now it seems to be ok. The time, battery life and all that stuff also came back. What do you think happened?????

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not sure, did you start to shut it down from the apple menu and then close it?
did you bump the mag-safe (power) cord? that's done it to me once or twice...

sometimes if it dims and won't come back with the keys or touchpad, quickly press the power button. that should wake it up.

i only switched a couple months ago, but i've had some odd little issues like that too. just wasn't real afraid to hold the power button after using windows for so long... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If this happened right after a software or firmware update, I've seen this behavior a lot with my MacBook and iBook.

I'd just keep an eye on it if I were you, and reset the PMU if it happens again.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help! I will keep an eye on it from now on. I hadn't updated anything. It was kind of weird. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.