iTunes Duplicates

Reaction score
So, iTunes seems to enjoy making duplicates of almost every song I put on there. Why is this? If you delete something from the music library, is it not deleted permanently?

Thanks in advance ya'll
john~

Reaction score
no, deleting from the library just deletes the reference to the actual file. If you want to delete the actual file, hold "option" and hit delete -- you'll get a dialog asking if you want to delete the actual file.

Reaction score
There's an option in iTunes>View>Show Duplicates. This will give you the option to clean out your library. Just make sure you play each one to determine which are safe to delete. There most probably will be dead links in there and you don't want to accidentally delete the active link and keep the dead one. (been there done that)

If you import a file or a folder of music into iTunes either through the iTunes menu function or by dragging to the iTunes icon in the Dock, the file/files are added to the iTunes folder on your Hard Disc. This will mean you will have duplicates if you also keep the original folder/file.

Look in iTunes/Preferences/Advanced/General and see if there's a tick in the box for "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

OP
W
Reaction score
Hmm, ok. I think that'll do it. Thanks ya'll

Ok, while I'm at it, one last question. Is there anyway to edit what artist a song is classified under? Some don't have anything for that column and they congregate at the bottom of the playlist. Is there a way to assign them to their appropriate artist so they will all be together?

Reaction score
If you want to group as an artist, just highlight all of the songs and press Command+I which will open a Get Info window for the group. Just edit in a group name and that should pull them into line. You can also add album art for the group this way too.

If the songs are one offs then you'll need to rename them as a group the same method as above, but call the group 'Singles' or similar.

If there is any recalcitrant mp3's you need to go into them one by one and edit out whichever info is stopping them from joining the goup. It's a bit of a trial and error, but someone might have a much simpler or quicker way to do this...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.