Upscale DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Is there DVD player software for the Mac that upscales the image? I watched a DVD on my Macbook last night and it looks a little grainy. Presumably, because it's such a sharp picture you can make all the grain out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What do you mean by 'upscale'? Chances are it was interlacing or something causing grain to appear on the image. Make sure 'deinterlace' is checked on the Video menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
The grain happens when watching it on a high res. monitor or screen. DVD's are usually made for the TV resolution. The res on the macbook, when set to it's hightest setting is about 1280x800. DVD's look best on a res of about 700x525 (approx. avg res of a 4:3 TV).

I have a 19 inch on my PC and when up close i can notice the grain too. I have my monitor set to 1600x1200.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
The monitor is running at 1680 x 1050 so is much higher than PAL-D1 (which is actually 720 x 576) - I'm aware that watching a DVD at such a resolution on a monitor screen causes this. However, I was after something that upscales the image. By this I mean something akin to the image processing that takes place in many HDTVs and some DVD players where the hardware re-processes the image so it sppears to be of a better quality. I thought what with Macs being bleeding-edge they must do this.

Someone on this thread asks a similar question. In that thread Makosuke claims the Mac does it and does it better than HDTVs and DVD players but I'm not convinced unless I'm missing some software or a setting somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm ... if you check the DVD player options you have options to control what happens if you insert standard or HD disks and how they are scaled. That might help? I've been having a play and the only thing that causes anything that could be described as 'graininess' is turning deinterlacing off.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Thanks, I'll play with the settings. Perhaps even with upscaling it's just one of the drawback of watching film / TV on a monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's certainly one of the drawbacks of using a TFT monitor with native resolution, because it's pixel perfect. CRTs naturally have some very minor blurring just due to the way they work. I have heard that the matte displays on the iMacs show graininess more than the glossy displays, but as you said you have a macbook, so it's not that :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.