Mac Pro Second Optical Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
I just picked up my Mac Pro and want to know where I can get the second Super Drive for it? I've looked on Apple's site and can't find it. Or can I just buy an internal DVD Writer and pop it in there? I'm new to Mac and don't want to mess my machine up. Any help would be great.

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I just got one from macsales.com, you should check them out.

OP
SunsetRoadzter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Which one did you get? 29.99 is pretty good price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Well, I got the $30, but it was for a PowerMac, I don't know if the Mac Pros use the same interface. More than likely, they do, but I'd make sure first.

It works perfectly, by the way. :)

OP
SunsetRoadzter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah that section is confusing in the way they sell them. It basically says that any drive will work with any machine. I will call them tom.

P

pbook24

if it works with any drive i will be a happy man. I HAVE LIKE 3 DL DVD writers from my old PC sitting in my room and i may as well put one in if i can

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
I am also thinking about buying the Mac Pro on Black Friday this Friday November 24, 2006.

Does anyone know if an IDE optical drive will work in the Mac Pro? Or will they only accept S-ATA drives?

Another question is regarding the monitor for the Mac Pro. It does not come with one. Will any monitor work with it? I was thinking of ordering a monitor tonight but decided not to because I'm not sure if the monitor for a Mac would need some special plug/interface, etc.

Although I'm a 20 year veteran of the PC work, I'm new to the Mac world and have decided to go to the Mac because of the on-going problems I've with video editing on the PC. I'm tired of spending money on software that doesn't work. Or having my PC lock-up in the middle of a big project, or having video/audio sync problems. From what I hear, the Mac has no problems at all with Video editing. If that's true, the Mac will be a perfect computer.

OP
SunsetRoadzter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay Guys,

The optical drives are ide inetrface so pretty much any ide cd/dvd drive will work.

Kevin270/ The MacPro monitor will need a monitor with a dvi connection. I suggest using Dell monitors. I personally have the 30" Model. If you check the outlet you can get a real bargin on a refurbished one. I got mine for 1099.99 + shipping. Anyways hit me up with a PM if you have any concerns.

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
Thanks for the quick feedback Dan! I'm so happy that the Pro will accept an IDE optical drive.

DVI - wow. I never thought the monitor would need to have that. Thanks for the information on that. I will look for a nice monitor tomorrow. I doubt that I could afford 1099, but then again I would not be buying a 30" monitor. My desire would be 22 to 24 inch widescreen.

I have one more question for you. I know that the Mac Pro has an S-ATA disk drive. 2 months ago I purchased a 250 gb HD for my PC, but it is an IDE drive. Will the Mac Pro accept an IDE disk drive as well as the S-ATA?

Thanks for all of your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
The Mac Pro comes with converters for the DVI to VGA. So if you only have VGA connectors on your current monitors or are planning on getting one that only has VGA it will work. Mine came with 2 as it has the 7300GT in it with two DVI outputs.

As far as the optical drive is concerned, you guys should consider getting one of the lightscribe drives that was just released for Mac. I've been trying to find a good deal on one, but it seems the manufacture of the ones that work on Mac are the only ones selling them. But my father-in-law has one on his new Windows computer and has already started making copies of his DVD's with it and I must say they look very professional, even without color and the detail is amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did purchase a new monitor today. My old 17" monitor was made in 1996 and came with my old Gateway 2000 computer. The computer didn't last for too many years, but the monitor still works! It's even moved half across the country with me. I put it in my spare room, where this computer will eventually go. My new monitor is a ViewSonic 20.1" VX2025WM. I was going to get the 22", but of all the 22" monitors that I saw at the store, the clearer images were consisitently on the smaller LCD monitors. This monitor was the sharpest of all other brands in the store. I really love it! ViewSonic seem to make great monitors. It's so bright!

My optical drive in my current PC (this one) does have the lightscribe feature. It's made by BenQ, and it's a very decent drive. I hope to transfer it to the Mac Pro once I get it. If it doesn't work on the Mac I guess I'll have to leave it on my PC and just burn the photos onto the disc from the PC. I hope it will work though - it will save me time.

I saw the Windows Vista installed on a iMac 24" the other day at the store. It was some kind of a demo version of Vista - it was quite impressive. Yet Windows still doesn't seem to handle video editing very well. I think the Mac OS is superior to Windows. This is why I'm going with a Mac this time. I hope I don't have to buy another computer for at least 5 years. The cost is ridiculous.

Can't wait until Friday when the big sale starts. I hope that they put the Pro on sale. *crosses fingers*

OP
SunsetRoadzter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac Pro comes with converters for the DVI to VGA. So if you only have VGA connectors on your current monitors or are planning on getting one that only has VGA it will work. Mine came with 2 as it has the 7300GT in it with two DVI outputs.

I forgot about those adapters. Yeah that would do the trick but if your buying a new monitor it should have dvi on it. It's a better connection. But you should be happy either way.

Dan

OP
SunsetRoadzter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did purchase a new monitor today. My old 17" monitor was made in 1996 and came with my old Gateway 2000 computer. The computer didn't last for too many years, but the monitor still works! It's even moved half across the country with me. I put it in my spare room, where this computer will eventually go. My new monitor is a ViewSonic 20.1" VX2025WM. I was going to get the 22", but of all the 22" monitors that I saw at the store, the clearer images were consisitently on the smaller LCD monitors. This monitor was the sharpest of all other brands in the store. I really love it! ViewSonic seem to make great monitors. It's so bright!

My optical drive in my current PC (this one) does have the lightscribe feature. It's made by BenQ, and it's a very decent drive. I hope to transfer it to the Mac Pro once I get it. If it doesn't work on the Mac I guess I'll have to leave it on my PC and just burn the photos onto the disc from the PC. I hope it will work though - it will save me time.

I saw the Windows Vista installed on a iMac 24" the other day at the store. It was some kind of a demo version of Vista - it was quite impressive. Yet Windows still doesn't seem to handle video editing very well. I think the Mac OS is superior to Windows. This is why I'm going with a Mac this time. I hope I don't have to buy another computer for at least 5 years. The cost is ridiculous.

Can't wait until Friday when the big sale starts. I hope that they put the Pro on sale. *crosses fingers*

Viewsonics are great monitors, My first LCD back in 2001 was NEC Viewsonic. I hope you enjoy your MacPro. By the way it only accepts sata hard drives. There are the easiest drives to install. The layout of the inside case is awsome & well thought out.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.