• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Smartphone Recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
So my boss me told that the school I work for is going to buy me a smartphone and that I get to pick which one I want so long as I stay on the Cingular network. I need to be able to manage my address book as well as email and possibly some office documents on it. I'd like to be able to listen to itunes if possible, but that's so important. Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I would suggest the Treo. If you want windows mobile on it (Easier to sync office email as long as you have exchange 2003) then wait for the Treo 750 to come out on the cingular network. Should be coming out soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
I use a Nokia e62. It works really well, and is functional for all that you have mentioned.

Are you looking for a phone with or without a qwerty keyboard?

PS. you can also compare Cingular's phones here and read user reviews. http://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/carrier.php?c=4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
I have a Nokia N80 - great smartphone. Not sure if you can get it on your network though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
does it have to be sold by singular? can you buy and unlocked smarphone you want and then use that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
I run the worlds Biggest 3G Forum so I know alot of general info on phones. Im in the UK, so not really sure whats available in the US, but looking at the cingular website (by typing in a new orleans zip code, which is where your from according to your account) there is quite a range of choice.

If you give me some more info. I could help you a bit more. Are you looking for a 3G Phone (basically, if you dont know what this is, its basically the internet at 384kbps rather then the normal 48kbps that the normal phones have. 3G also allows video calls) or just a normal 2G Phone? Do you want a touch screen or standard? Is there a certain OS you would like, like Symbian or windows mobile? Also, do you care about cameras?

Personally, looking on the cingular website and what they offer, I have narrowed it down to 3 handsets taking an educated guess at what you should get.

Ok first is the Cingular 8525. This is a touchscreen windows mobile device, and is also 3G and even HSDPA (which is also known as super 3G, basically 1.8mb connection rather then the standard 384 3G one) and has wifi and a QWERTY keyboard. This is great if your going to be browsing the internet alot, and ive been using a WM phone and I loved it. Other things with this phone is it has a 2MP camera, a VGA video calling camera, and general phone things like bluetooth etc. This phone is also known as the HTC TYTN and here are some more specs for it: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_tytn-1659.php

Next is the Nokia E62. Here in the UK, its a 3G phone (called the E61 in the UK), but it looks like there in the US its not. It has built in wifi, Symbian 60 OS (which is personally my favorite) and has a QWERTY keyboard. This phone DOESNT have a touch screen and is the smallest out of my selection. However, it DOESNT have a camera built in. More specs here: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e62-1708.php

Last but not least is the Palm Treo 650. Ive never used or seen this phone, but ive heard its great. Dont really know much about it, expect that it has a QWERTY keyboard, a touch screen, and a camera (not a very good one, but still a camera). However, this DOESNT have wifi which is dissapointing.
Specs found here: http://www.gsmarena.com/palm_treo_650-907.php

Here is the list I got the phones from: http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp?_requestid=16722

If you have any other phones in mind, let me know what they are, and I will give my opinion on them. Personally, if you dont mind about Size and would like a touchscreen, I would get the Cingular 8525 (also if you dont have a small budget to stick to).

Let me know what you think of these phones above :). If there is anything else I can do to help, or any questions to answer, please ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Any HTC rebrand will suit you nicely. Cingular's 8125 and 8525 both fit the bill and are excellent machines.

OP
NolaWegs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Thanks for all the help everyone. Chaslam, in response to a few of your questions: I don't really need a 3G phone as I am almost always around a wifi network so I was planning on using that for most of my connectivity needs. As for the camera, that's not really important. My main concern; however, is the phones ability to sync with iCal and the address book my MBP. Is there a smartphone OS that can do that for me as this is by far the most important feature I would like the phone to have? I would like to have a touch screen as well as QWERTY keyboard to make navigation easier. Aside from those things I'm not very picky, although durability is fairly important...I don't want a phone that falls apart on me. Again, thanks for all the help and more suggestions are always appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.