I'm about to be a Mac Man

S

Sangs

I placed the order for a Powerbook G4, 17-inch model with the 5200 HD yesterday from the Apple Store and am ready to say goodbye to the PC world after 12 years. The only problem is they aren't going to ship it until Feb. 23, so I'm sitting here chomping at the bit.

For full disclosure I should admit that I never hated my PC. In fact, I became certified by Microsoft (sorry) in a number of areas and enjoyed getting down and dirty with my PCs. But when my latest Dell started acting up, I just didn't feel like dealing with it anymore. I've recently delved in digital video editing and DVD creation and everything I've researched about Macs told me this was the way to go.

I have to admit I'm nervous as ****. The last time I worked primarily on Macs was about 12-16 years ago in college. I loved them then and hope I will now, but I became so comfy in the PC world that I hope the switch back isn't painful.

Aside from this forum (and a couple others I found through Google), what are the best sites for info? And besides the Airport, are there any must-have accessories or software that I should look into? I look forward to spending some quality time around here and to all the advice that the community offers. Take care all.

OP
J

JWilsonphoto

Sangs said:
I placed the order for a Powerbook G4, 17-inch model with the 5200 HD yesterday from the Apple Store and am ready to say goodbye to the PC world after 12 years. The only problem is they aren't going to ship it until Feb. 23, so I'm sitting here chomping at the bit.

For full disclosure I should admit that I never hated my PC. In fact, I became certified by Microsoft (sorry) in a number of areas and enjoyed getting down and dirty with my PCs. But when my latest Dell started acting up, I just didn't feel like dealing with it anymore. I've recently delved in digital video editing and DVD creation and everything I've researched about Macs told me this was the way to go.

I have to admit I'm nervous as ****. The last time I worked primarily on Macs was about 12-16 years ago in college. I loved them then and hope I will now, but I became so comfy in the PC world that I hope the switch back isn't painful.

Aside from this forum (and a couple others I found through Google), what are the best sites for info? And besides the Airport, are there any must-have accessories or software that I should look into? I look forward to spending some quality time around here and to all the advice that the community offers. Take care all.

Hi Sang,

I don't think you'll regret your move. Three months ago I had 3 PC's networked in my home office and I decided to make the leap to a G5. I left the PC's set up with their own monitor and kept the G5 separate just so I wouldn't lose any productivity in the learning process. There was little to no learning curve. I bought that "Switcher's book at the Mac store about a month before I made my Mac move and one common thread through the whole book was Macs just work." I have found that to be true.

I have eliminated two of the PC's from my network and would replace my three month old Dell 8600 with a 17" Powerbook, if I didn't think they'd upgrade that machine in the next quarter or so. I think I'll hold off till summer and see what happens.

Good luck with your new Mac! Enjoy!

Regards,

Jim Wilson

OP
K

KEVIN JENKINS

Jim sounds like a guy who knows what's what ! I have recently bght an i-bk
and so far v pleased... I am now thinking of buying a Canon BJC55 prtr with
their IS 12 scanner cartridge. I did read that the scanner cart. format is Windows
95 !? Does that mean that the scanner function will not operate with the i-bk
or does it mean something quite different ?
Regards Kevin 14.02

OP
T

TylerMoney

I've had my mac since dec. 03....and man alive, I love it. can't get enough of it infact. I love my pc, but now it's like the kid that you love, but you love him because he is your kid, but you like hanging out with the other kid better. The other kid likes more of the same things you like, and doesn't always get in trouble at school. He makes good grades, and blows things up in the science lab, creating new and improved forms of life. My mac is my favorite kid. And my kids are my two computers.

OP
S

StarManta

I'm gonna write "I've had my mac since dec. 03....and man alive, I love it. can't get enough of it infact. I love my pc, but now it's like the kid that you love, but you love him because he is your kid, but you like hanging out with the other kid better." into my Big Book of Quotes. :)

(And by Big Book of Quotes, i mean a Sticky.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.