Intel Core Duo processor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
I take it that the Intel Core Duo processor is different from the Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

If I'm not buying direct from apple, is there anyway to tell the difference between the 2 without actually having the mac in front of me?

Cheers

Drew :headphone

S

Sp71Supra

You can tell my the processor speed. I was going to order a new macbook pro intel core duo, I ended up waiting 4 days and when I went to order, I found out the released the core 2 duos... thank god I wanted those 4 days. I had no clue they were updating them. I was worried that I might get a core duo and not a core 2 duo. It says on the outside of the box core 2 duo.. it has the logo.

I must say... I LOVE THIS MACBOOK PRO... I got the ultimate machine, maxed out the specs... I couldnt imagine anything nicer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy
I think he meant how could he tell just by looking at the laptop. And if not, I still don't think you could tell just by using the computer. There'd be no way to tell you were on a Core 2 Duo vs. a Core Duo by simply running it.

To answer your question, yes, you can tell. Go to the blue apple up top left and click "About this Mac" and it will bring up a window telling you what version OS you're running, RAM amount, and Processor type. Here is an example:
about.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're buying this online then I suggest having him send you a screen cap of your name next to the OS X About this Mac bubble. I mean, he could still screw you by doing just that on an actual Core 2 Duo, but ****, at least it puts him in a position where he has to actively lie. Also, you'll have the correspondence between the two of you asking him to prove to you that it is a Core 2 Duo, which would be valid evidence if he does indeed screw you over and you need to contact authorities.

N

NYCGPS

Hey Can I ask you guys something ?

how I thought that Jobs said Intel sucks and would never consider them. What happen now? wheres the PowerPC Buddy ?

Reaction score
Hey Can I ask you guys something ?

how I thought that Jobs said Intel sucks and would never consider them. What happen now? wheres the PowerPC Buddy ?

This guy is a friggin' troll. Second of two posts bashing Apple.

Ban him.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
If you're buying this online then I suggest having him send you a screen cap of your name next to the OS X About this Mac bubble. I mean, he could still screw you by doing just that on an actual Core 2 Duo, but ****, at least it puts him in a position where he has to actively lie.

He won't open the box as he wants to sell it brand new. Which is fair enough if you ask me. It is going through paypal so if he does outright lie to me then that would be pretty substantial ground to get my money back.

N

NYCGPS1

This guy is a friggin' troll. Second of two posts bashing Apple.

Ban him.

You guys just cant accept the fact that Apple sucks. Simple.

Also the fact that you *ooooo Think different* guys always get *second hand* technology from the PC big brother.

Live in Apple's dreams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No joke! Apple friggin' sucks. I want a Dell, I just can't get one...

N

NYCGPS1

Sorry I dont buy Dell either, they're even worst than Apple.

Wonder why their Laptop exploded first ? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He won't open the box as he wants to sell it brand new. Which is fair enough if you ask me. It is going through paypal so if he does outright lie to me then that would be pretty substantial ground to get my money back.

It does say Core 2 Duo on the box, ask him for a picture of the box with your name written on a piece of paper or something. And ask for the serial number off that box, so you know he is actually sending you the proper one and you'll be able to tell without opening. I've attached a picture that which is what you should expect from him.

c2d.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
if your looking at the computer while its open, the core2duo MBP's do not have a status light visible to the right of the isight camera. The new models have the light built in under the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Also the fact that you *ooooo Think different* guys always get *second hand* technology from the PC big brother.

Live in Apple's dreams

Hey, let us know when your precious Windows OSX... I mean Vista is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage

Live in Apple's dreams

Who is this loser? Must be unhappy with the PC world if he wants to spend time here. Bashing Apple is kids stuff. Bring on something more credible than Apple sucks. You suck. Does that mean anything? Nope.

Bring something that matters, that counts, that's adult and mature. Otherise, stay in your PC world and leave us alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No, he's right, I'm selling all of my Macs and buying a Compaq...or maybe an HP.

I recommend everyone else do the same.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
It does say Core 2 Duo on the box, ask him for a picture of the box with your name written on a piece of paper or something. And ask for the serial number off that box

Sweet dude cheers, thats exactly what I was after. If I ask him for the serial number is there anywhere where I can check it out?

Cheers :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a little harder but you can get some good info from the serial number. Check out the linked site below to find out WHEN the Mac was born. You should be able to tell if it was manufactured by the time that the C2D's came out. For instance on the week number, mine was made in week 45 of 2006, so yours should be somewhere around there considering I ordered mine shortly after the new ones came out.

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/04/14/when-was-your-mac-born/

Good luck man, be sure to post back with the results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB

Live in Apple's dreams

I wonder why there are so many switchers from PC to Mac . . . like 1/4 of the members on this forum! Including me! Get a life and stay on your PC forums. I got a copy of Vista, the Beta form at a conference, and it's a rip off of Mac OSX. Good Luck with the Vista!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.