Loud fan

Reaction score
Power Mac Dual G5
2 GHZ
2Gb ram

I have a G5 the fan is running very loud, i tried updating the firmware & it was up to date. Updated everything
any other solutions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is definitely abnormal. I have nearly the same machine you do, except that mine is the 2.3 GHz version. It runs pretty quietly. I have heard the fans take off only once, and that was when I was trying to boot an Ubuntu Linux Live CD on the machine (Ubuntu didn't support the thermal sensors and fan control mechanism, hence they just ran full throttle - gave up on the idea of dual booting Linux on my G5 after that pretty much permanently!). I agree that when the fans take off, they are LOUD.... drive you out of the room loud.

A healthy G5 shouldn't do this. Could you be having kernel panics? Presumably you would know this - I understand you are greeted with the Mac equivalent of the old Windows "blue screen of death" when this happens.

Do you still have your Tiger install disks? If you can boot off of those and the fans behave in the normal nice-and-quiet mode, then you are lucky (?) and just your software is corrupted. Else, your hardware needs help.

If your software is corrupted, you can reload the OS. If your hardware needs help, you will have to take it in or send it in for repair.

OP
H
Reaction score
no kernal panic. i reformated & installed 10.3.9, same thing happens the fans are full throttle all the time. this is not normal we have 500 mac here & this its the only one that we have had problems with the fan.

i dont want to take to be repaired if i dont have too. i thought maybe there was a firmware update that i wasnt finding?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.