Day 4 - A few issues left. Downloads and select print

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
meagain, does the text you're printing have definite starting and ending tags, or is it random?

A Google search for "OS X Mail print script" might turn something up. There are people who have written scripts and plugins for Mail. I didn't get far with that search because I'm not that curious.

OP
M
Reaction score
Jamo - I like the concept of what you're saying, but it doesn't work for me. When I drag the text into the desktop then 'print' - nothing prints. Do you know how I can tell it to print? My printer is working fine, but just can't print as you can doing this method.

xstep - I made the script, but I don't see any applescript wavy type (or any) icon anywhere. What do you suppose I did wrong? This would be nice if it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
xstep - I made the script, but I don't see any applescript wavy type (or any) icon anywhere. What do you suppose I did wrong? This would be nice if it worked.

Did you do this first part I mentioned? "First start the AppleScript Utility in the /Applications/AppleScript folder. Set the check mark on the "Show Script Menu in menu bar" option and close the application." You should instantly see the result.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow - It works very well! Nice. It prints in a bit of a funky font, but it sure works. Question, is it possible to put such a command/script in icon form for a one-click option in the dock or something? That would be off the hook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question, is it possible to put such a command/script in icon form for a one-click option in the dock or something? That would be off the hook!
In Script Editor perform a Save As and save it as File Format; application. Uncheck the Startup Screen selection if you do not want to confirm that you want to run the script.

Since my printer isn't giving output, I can't speak to the funky font issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
This is the way I do it

First select text
Picture1.png

Then select services

Picture2.png

Finally print No fuss and it's quicker than windows

Picture3.png

It works in mail too

OP
M
Reaction score
IDK - Hitting the squiggly icon in the upper right bar with the mouse then selecting print, seems alot easier. No new windows popping up, etc. I like. I want to try to make one for everything Safari/Firefox though.. not just mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i dont have the print service under services in safari, or opera.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i dont have the print service under services in safari, or opera.

Ditto on this end. Latest Tiger, all updates installed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Good find. Apple should put that in the OS stock. Works great.
Lets hope they address the problem anyway. Being new to Mac I thought I installed this software wrong however it works for me . I didn't really know what I did to make it work but it does.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last night i was on my gaming PC. Went into Firefox and tried right clicking with text highlighted and no print command. Works with IE but I will never use IE on a windows PC again. Tried Opera and no Print under right click either.

Firefox in OSX does not let you use the print selection service but Opera does. I wish everyone would make their software use all the OS's features.

OP
M
Reaction score
xstep - I absolutely love that little program. Works swimmingly. Would you or anyone know of how one can change the font in it? It's a bit cartoonish and hard to read. IDK - Maybe it's just the default and can't be changed. Works great though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how to change the font the lpr command uses. I'm sure there may be a way because our Unix admins do it for our HP printers. This may not apply to all printers. By the way, I liked the font I saw.

As for a font solution, I came up with two scripts to do the job. They do however use applications which means you'll have a blink on the screen as the applications display the document I'm using.

Download the attached files. The first file named pmsp.txt uses Preview. The second file uses TextEdit, allowing font and font size to be preset. You shold be able to open Script Editor (as previously done) and paste each one into it's own script name. I named my scripts 'Print Mail Selection via Preview' and 'Print Mail Selection via TextEdit' respectively.

These scripts leave you in the application that gets called. To return to mail, duplicated (cut & paste) the first tell block to the bottom of the code. A small excercise for you.

View attachment pmsp.txt

View attachment pmste.txt

Reaction score
Put TextEdit icon in the Dock. Select text in Safari, click and drag to the TextEdit icon, then print.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.