• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is leaving your computer on 24/7 bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
Since I got my iMac not too long ago, I haven't shut the darn thing off. I know booting up on Mac's is a breeze, but I just prefer to have it on all the time (partially because my landlord pays for my electricity!).

I was wondering if leaving my computer on all the time is bad for the hardware? My computer is properly ventilated. The monitor is also set to sleep. I haven't set the computer to sleep, because whenever I do I get kicked off Adium, which is irritating.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I do exactly the same....it's quite ok to leave your mac running 24/7, just restart it at least once a month, that's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yup, totally okay.. I leave most of my computers on all the time. Just reboot once in a while like Pulse-8 mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
My PowerMac has an uptime of 27 days.

Reaction score
I have an eMac and just put it to sleep. I never shut it down. The only time I do is if we leave for more than a couple of days. When I do shut it down. I lose my screen saver and I have to go into pref. and put it back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.