Friend having AirPort issues with new PB

S

StarManta

My friend has just bought a new 12" Powerbook and was attempting to install his AirPort Extreme card, but after putting it in and booting it up, it instantly tells him to reboot. Even after rebooting it says the same thing. He's tried taking it out and putting it back in multiple times. Unfortunately I can't go there in person to help him figure it out, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows anything about this.

Sorry if I'm skimping on the details, that's all I have. :-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
StarManta said:
My friend has just bought a new 12" Powerbook and was attempting to install his AirPort Extreme card, but after putting it in and booting it up, it instantly tells him to reboot. Even after rebooting it says the same thing. He's tried taking it out and putting it back in multiple times. Unfortunately I can't go there in person to help him figure it out, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows anything about this.

Sorry if I'm skimping on the details, that's all I have. :-/

More details would indeed be helpful. If possible, could you find out:

A) If the machine boots normally with the card removed

B) If the card was brand new

C) Is he certain that the card is being installed correctly (e.g. he's pusing it far enough in)

Any other details would also be helpful.

OP
S

StarManta

A) From what I could gather, yes.
B) Not sure, but I think so.
C) They put it in and removed it repeatedly, so I would assume it was ok.

OP
S

StarManta

OK, just talked to him, and he said yes to all 3. They're going to take it back to Micro Center to see if they can try a different AE card.

OP
S

StarManta

OK, they got it all set up - they were on a pre-panther OS that didn't agree with Airport Extreme. Now Panther is installed and the PB is humming along happily. And he loves his new Mac. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.