• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

recommendation for a webcam compatible with Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

Any brand/model recommendations for a webcam that's compatible with my Mac? Went to the Mac store and they wanted me to buy their $180 version. HA!

Thanks for your advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
any USB webcam should work with your computer
-chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, had a bit of trouble bc it seems not many are compatible. But I found one by Dynex (Best Buy brand) that is compatible. (Even Logitech ones that I looked at only said PC compatible on the packaging.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Well, not all the USB webcams will work on Macs. Check this list for compatibility.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks, had a bit of trouble bc it seems not many are compatible. But I found one by Dynex (Best Buy brand) that is compatible. (Even Logitech ones that I looked at only said PC compatible on the packaging.)

Some Logitech's are fully OSX compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually only very few PC webcams are compatible with OS X.

Checkout this driver to use your PC webcam with Skype, aMsn etc:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

But it will not enable iChat support afaik. For that you'll need to purchase ichatusbcam or buy a Firewire webcam.
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

If you have a regular DV camcorder you can also use that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A bit of serendipity: I just read about maccam this afternoon. This is another driver that says it makes USB webcams compatible with Macs. See:

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
In 2008 and beyond: you want to buy a webcam that's UVC compatible - USB 2.0 Video Class - On Apple's OS X 10.4.11 and up UVC webcams are just plug and play - no drivers needed. A growing number of USB 2.0 speed UVC compliant web cameras can be had for as little as $20. This standard will make finding Mac friendly webcams ALOT easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
One of my best friends uses a Dynex webcam, and it works fine, it also has a great quality mic.

Reaction score
Well, not all the USB webcams will work on Macs. Check this list for compatibility.

The list of driverless UVC USB 2.0 webcams for Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger and Leopard 10.5 is growing - there's some pretty decent ones in the USD $30 range now. But you do need high-speed USB 2.0 ports for UVC web cams to work. Maccam seems to be ok for _some_ older cams and those stuck on OS X 10.3 and lower with slow USB 1.1 ports where there aren't many Mac-specific options anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.