Insane Kernel Panics on friends PowerBook

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
My friend's PowerBook is consistently kernel panicking, it won't even boot from a CD, it panics. And when I put it in target disk mode and hooked it up to my PowerBook it kernel panicked my computer!

Single user mode kernel panic, ill try to get what it says.

EDIT: Here it is

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep 8 17...some more date stuff; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC panic: We are hanging here...

ANOTHER UPDATE: I can get into single user mode if I boot from the CD, but actually getting into the Mac OS X installer makes a kernel panic.

SUPER AWESOME EDIT: It works! Read my latest post for details!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
did you friend install ram recently? if so take it out it is bad and should be returned. thats all i can offer
-chris

OP
ezhangin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Unfortunately he has not installed RAM recently as that is what I initially thought, but the system passes the apple hardware test!

J

JunMacTech

Unfortunately he has not installed RAM recently as that is what I initially thought, but the system passes the apple hardware test!

How did you perform the hardware tests if you could not boot the machine without a panic? :confused:

OP
ezhangin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Hold down option, and then click on apple hardware test if the CD is in the drive. That doesn't boot OS X at all.

The computer booted linux (ubuntu) also, which I used to copy his files for backup.

J

JunMacTech

Hold down option, and then click on apple hardware test if the CD is in the drive. That doesn't boot OS X at all.

The computer booted linux (ubuntu) also, which I used to copy his files for backup.

Ahhh, ok. Have you tried booting to target disk mode and attaching it to another mac, booting to the install CD, and doing an archive and install across firewire to the troubled mac?

OP
ezhangin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I'm not trying to be rude when I say this but have you read the post at all?

When I target disk mode his powerbook and hook it up to my mac it kernel panicked my mac!

J

JunMacTech

I'm not trying to be rude when I say this but have you read the post at all?

When I target disk mode his powerbook and hook it up to my mac it kernel panicked my mac!

Heh no offense taken, I'm at work so I skim rather than read and it bit me in the butt this time.

OP
ezhangin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Ok I got Disk Warrior here and it kernel panics trying to boot that, a friend should be over with techtool soon, we shall see how that goes.

OP
ezhangin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Fixed

HA! I fixed it! I installed Ubuntu and basically wrote over the normal Mac OS X boot loader with GRUB (I believe, don't quote me on that). After that, I booted from the Mac OS X install CD and so far it's in the installer zero-ing out his HD.

The actual installation of Ubuntu and GRUB seems to have reset whatever bizzaro problem that was holding the darwin kernel from booting. Cheers! :beer:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.