Upgrading Ram

Reaction score
Well i have the stock C2D macbook, as you know you get 2 x 512 ram. I would like to go up to 2gb of ram, but cannot afford 2 1gb sticks at once at the moment (student)

Would buying 1gb ram stick and using that with 1 x 512 stick be an improvement over the 2x 512. I know its best to match your ram, but will it still work better as they will be 1512 Ram installed.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, it will still work. The speed increase you get from matched pairs is barely noticeable, if at all. You'll see a bigger improvement going to 1.5Gb, rather than keeping your matched pairs.

Reaction score
yes you will notice a significant increase in "performance." i hear alot that the matching of the sticks is completely overrated, it works just as good without the matched sticks. nothing to worry about

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys

So would setting 512 for xp and 1gb for osx be ok for using paralells

Reaction score
i am not sure if the ram works like that, i think itll use the ram for whatever OS you are using, if you are going to be using paralells i would suggest getting 2x1GB sticks. i have heard that from quite a few different people around the forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Yes, it will still work. The speed increase you get from matched pairs is barely noticeable, if at all. You'll see a bigger improvement going to 1.5Gb, rather than keeping your matched pairs.

So if I go get 2X1 gig sticks it'll barely be noticeable from my 2X512 sticks? That sounds unbelievable. Also I read that if you are using 2 different sticks, say a 512 and a 1g, then the system will not operate at its optimum. The info was from an online store, so they may have been trying to just sell 2 sticks at a time Vs only getting Joe Consumer for one stick :blind: I am new to this awsome OS and machine so I'm interested in getting all the info I can. Also I'm interested in upgrading my 1Gig MB to a 2g but want to know what kinda differences I can expect;)

By the way is $249 -$65 trade in rebate a good deal?

Reaction score
i was at the mac store asking this same question. they told me that the computer could possibly not function right with just one stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.