Ibook G4 Help

V

varpunk

Hi, I have a 12" Ibook G4 running OS X 10.3.

I got it back in November and since I have had it i seems to crash (completely freeze up) so that all I can do it hold down the power button. Now at first I just thought this was a 1 off. But it started to happen quite often i.e. every few hours. I phoned apple several times and they always make me use the installation disc to do a disc repair. I have also run a hardware test several times with them that showed nothing wrong. I have even wiped the whole hard drive and started again. But still the problem persists. It seems to happen at completely random times sometime even when the ibook is starting up (on the apple logo) I have know other software installed other than the Mac osx and the progs that are with it.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have or have had similar problems?

I don't want to get ride of it because other than this problem I really like it but I am starting to consider getting a refund.

thanx

Ben Varnals

OP
V

varpunk

kjellquist said:
wouldn't it be easier to get an exchange rather than a refund?

Yea I would but I had a 12" ibook g4 before this one for a week and that had problems as well. so i exchanged it for this one.

Just wondering if I have been unlucky or is this is a common problem?

OP
V

varpunk

My quesion really is if I exchange it am I going to get problems or am I just unlucky?

After hearing about various problems with ibook g4's I want to know if it is rare for an Ibook G4 to crash or if this happens allot?

thanx

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
varpunk said:
My quesion really is if I exchange it am I going to get problems or am I just unlucky?

After hearing about various problems with ibook g4's I want to know if it is rare for an Ibook G4 to crash or if this happens allot?

thanx

Ben

That question really isn't one that anyone can answer with certainty. It's obviously rare for iBooks, or any Macs to have problems, and the majority of owners don't. The reason you hear about them so often is because it's mostly the people with problems who you read about online, rather than the owners who love their machines but don't necessarily come online to praise them.

That being said, there is reason to believe (and I do) that Apple's quality control as of late is not up to the level that it was in the recent past. This isn't to say that there are many problems with there newest machines, just that there are possibly more problems than there were in previous models.

With two malfunctioning machines, I would have to say you are either very unlucky, or the store where your machines are coming from has received a defective batch of products. My personal suggestion would be to exchange it for a brand-new machine, or see if Apple has anything to say about repairing yours under warranty. The problems you are describing definitely are not normal or common.

OP
V

varpunk

Padawan said:
That question really isn't one that anyone can answer with certainty. It's obviously rare for iBooks, or any Macs to have problems, and the majority of owners don't. The reason you hear about them so often is because it's mostly the people with problems who you read about online, rather than the owners who love their machines but don't necessarily come online to praise them.

That being said, there is reason to believe (and I do) that Apple's quality control as of late is not up to the level that it was in the recent past. This isn't to say that there are many problems with there newest machines, just that there are possibly more problems than there were in previous models.

With two malfunctioning machines, I would have to say you are either very unlucky, or the store where your machines are coming from has received a defective batch of products. My personal suggestion would be to exchange it for a brand-new machine, or see if Apple has anything to say about repairing yours under warranty. The problems you are describing definitely are not normal or common.

I have taken it to John Lewis were they sent it on to apple for repair. Luckly the freezing problem happened when they were looking at it. They said simmilar things to you.. being they are very reliable and they don't get many problems.

I was just unlucky then. Thats good because I allways have had good hopes for Apple. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.