How do I get a program from a mounted package to applications/?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I installed MSN Messenger yesterday - it mounted the package to the desktop (it has a drive icon).

I want this to be in the applications folder like all the other applications but if I drag it there it just creates a shortcut. It dragged over to the dock fine though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
It shouldn't...

Also if you drag it over to the Dock that will just be a shortcut to the mounted file. Are you dragging it directly into the Applications folder via the Finder Window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Double click it and it should open an installer or a window instructing you to drag an icon to Applications.

Reaction score
I installed MSN Messenger yesterday - it mounted the package to the desktop (it has a drive icon).

I want this to be in the applications folder like all the other applications but if I drag it there it just creates a shortcut. It dragged over to the dock fine though.

297252245_7b526d9b70.jpg

G'day DrQuincy,

Using the above image as a reference, after you downloaded the .dmg file and double-click on it, next step is to just click and hold on the App icon, in this case it's the big S for Skype, then just slide it over to the Application folder icon which has the arrow pointing at it, and release the mouse.

The Application folder icon in this window is just an alias (Shortcut) to your real Apps folder.

You have just installed the App, so now open a Finder window and click on the little triangle with a line under it, which is in the left pane to the right of the App's name, as per this image:

297253957_f4d954797c.jpg

By doing this you have unmounted the volume or drive from your desktop:

297257120_dfb2784e7f.jpg

The next step is to navigate to your Apps folder and launch the newly installed application.

Lastly, you'll most likely still have a .dmg file on your desktop and you can trash it or keep it for later on (or 'Ron as we say in Aust).

Not all downloads are treated as this one but the idea is the same. Some downloaded apps need stuffit expander (.sit files) and some are Packages (.pkg) which just require a double click on the .pkg icon and as the old saying goes: Bob's your Aunt's live-in lover.:bone:

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Thanks! I will give it a go.

By the way, how come some applications automatically go to applications/ and other go as a mount on the desktop?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.