• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ripping and editing a movie

Reaction score
I have family films that were burned to a disc from old reels. They weren't put in chronological order.

I want to rip it from the disc and edit it to add some names and make it in chronological order. I think i found a way using quicktime but am not sure.

Can someone give me some insight into the best and cheapest process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Your best bet would be to use iMovie for this, not QuickTime. Using iMovie, you can 'splice' the movie into clips and arrange them as you please. Then it will let you add transitions, titles and some minor effects.

OP
L
Reaction score
I could very well be wrong but i don't think you can do that......

I thought the only files you could open were from a video camera or a movie in dv stream format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I could very well be wrong but i don't think you can do that......

I thought the only files you could open were from a video camera or a movie in dv stream format?
Nope.
iMovie Help said:
Importing video, audio, and still images

You can import audio, video, and still images to use in your movie. Importing an image or clip can be as easy as dragging it into your movie from the desktop. Or you can use the Import command to select and import clips and images. You can also copy and paste clips between movies.

You can create movies and import video in many different kinds of video and audio formats. iMovie HD supports importing video in common formats, such as standard definition and wide screen formats (NTSC and PAL), high definition formats (HDV 720p and 1080i), MPEG-4, and clips from Apple's iSight camera. Audio files must be in AIFF format or another format that works with QuickTime.

When you import clips in a format different from your project, they are converted to the video format of your movie. For example, if you have created a movie using high definition video format throughout, any standard definition clips that you import are converted to the movie's high definition format. You can share a movie in a different format later.

To import video, audio, and still images:

Choose File > Import.

Select the file you want to import.

Click Open.

You can also drag files from your desktop or from applications like iTunes or iPhoto to the Clips pane, the timeline viewer, or the clip viewer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Use handbrake to get the dvd in a movie file then you can import it into imovie by the statements above.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm computer savvy but new to mac so excuse the questions please.

get the dvd in a movie file

is that like a .mov file? or some other specific format it needs to be in?

Reaction score
No, what PBG4 is saying is that the video files may not show up when you go to your DVD, if the DVD has been finalised to play on a DVD player.

Handbrake will help you to convert the video files so that you can access them from iMovie.

Though, and someone may correct me on this, I think that you may need to rip the DVD first using Mac the Ripper, before converting it back into one video file in Handbrake.

Anyway, both these apps are free to download, and you will always benefit from experimenting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Can someone post a link to iMovie?? I have a G4. Is that free?

Reaction score
It comes with every mac as part of the iLife suite. Its been available since before OSX. It should be on your system in the Applications folder, unless you did a fresh retail install of your operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.