Upgrading to Tiger

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my G4 tower from Mac OS 10.2 to Tiger 10.4 - since then I have been having a couple of problems that are causing no end of inconvenience to me!

Firstly my Quark Xpress (Ver. 5) which worked perfectly with 10.2 will only print out black and white! I've heard the 2 don't really get on but can anyone suggest what I should do to get it to print out colour??

Secondly, my Adobe Acrobat 5 distiller will not pdf eps's - the error message that comes up I just don't understand! - has anyone else had these sort of problems with the switch to Tiger?? Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Reaction score
Quark 5 is using the Chooser to print, right? Make sure that the Chooser is using the right PDF, and the Quark is using the same PDF in the Print Setup dialog, it may have gotten confused during the update. Make sure that Classic is running System 9.2.2.
Can't help with the Distiller message, even if you don't understand it, why don't you post it? You aren't running Distiller in Classic too, are you?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Untick 'OPI Active' when you export postscript files from Quark for distilling.

There are a few settings in the print menu that can cause things to output in B&W/ Any chance of some screenshots of what settings you're printing with?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey Sherman - here's the error message that comes up when I try to distill a Quark eps:

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: setdistillerparams; ErrorInfo: CalCMYKProfile U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
Error accessing color profile: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

I have no idea what this means!

Alexis - I tried unticking the 'OPI Active' box and I still get this when I try to distill.

I'll have a look at the chooser and see if this has something to do with Quark printing only black & white.

Reaction score
Seems like Distiller is annoyed at your SWOP settings. At what point in the PostScript setup do you apply the SWOP settings, in Quark or Distiller? Can you change that to plain old generic and see if that will Distill?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey Sherman - I wasn't aware I was doing anything to my SWOP settings! I have never changed any of the options when saving my Quark eps. My settings stay as follows;

Format - Colour
Space - cmyk
Preview - PICT
Data - Binary

Maybe it could be the settings within Distiller itself? How do I change to genetic?

Reaction score
Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I think the settings for SWOP are in Distiller --> Settings Edit Settings --> Color.
Try setting it to none and see if it works. There are a million possible combinations of settings. I don't envy trying to figure this one out...!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.