G4 Graphics Card Monitor Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I have a 1.67 GHz, powerbook G4, the oldest model right before the macbook pro. I am curious about a few things. First, are there two different graphics cards for the powerbook g4 hi-res 15" and the regular 15". How do I find out which one i have? Also, if there are two diff graphics cards, does one display a higher pixel range than the other when hooked up to an external monitor. What is the range for an external monitor on my powerbook. Can I hook up a 30 inch apple cinema display and get the highest pixel ratio that the monitor supports?

Second big question is, and I know it has been asked before for the macbook pro's but I am not sure with the powerbooks; can I SAFELY hook up my powerbook as a desktop when I come home from work/school etc. The setup I want would be: keyboard, mouse, external monitor and the powerbook would be CLOSED with everything hooked up. Is this dangerous for overheating? If it matters, yes, I will be using programs like iphoto, imovie, maya, and other Memory and Processor intensive programs while the powerbook is closed. Is this ok?

Thanks,

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you do have the very last 15" PowerBook (before the MBP) then you have the hi-res model. This is the very same one I have, with the 128MB Radeon card in it.

Yes, it is perfectly safe to attach external devices. I have a 7-port USB hub that I use as a sort of "docking station". I have my external HD, mouse, printer, scanner, and other fun stuff attached to it that I just plug into the PB when I am at home. I also attach my 24" WS display. Then only difference is that I don't close the display, as I use dual displays for Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash work.
PowerBooks are able to be used in Clamshell mode with the display down, though I would recommend getting a USB cooling mat. I still use one even with the PB display open as rendering in After Effects and other intense apps can cause the heat to rise a little bit. :black:

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
But I heard that if you leave your powerbook closed the powerbook's natural cooling design is compromised, and you loose the ability to cool without significant strain on the computer's hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
But I heard that if you leave your powerbook closed the powerbook's natural cooling design is compromised, and you loose the ability to cool without significant strain on the computer's hardware.
You heard wrong. :black:

They are designed to work that way (if you so desire).

From Apple: PowerBook in Clamshell Mode 1

PowerBook in Clamshell Mode 2

and...PowerBook in Clamshell Mode 3

If it in any way were to harm your computer or cause any ill-effect, Apple would neither promote such a feature, nor would they post mulitiple articles on their own support site that have no warning against doing so. :black:

Q

Quruli

Apple have the pro displayed like this in their store and they even sell stands to help cool the monsters. Thanks for the link!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core Duo
but how do you keep the powerbook from going to sleep when you shut it. Mine has not option for that, is it because mine is a 12"?

R

rjt1000

but how do you keep the powerbook from going to sleep when you shut it. Mine has not option for that, is it because mine is a 12"?

You can't stop it from going to sleep when you close the lid. But if you attach a monitor, keyboard and mouse, you can then wake it from sleep by pressing on the keyboard or moving the mouse.

Although Apple does support using the PowerBook or MacBook Pro in clamshell mode, it would seem to be less efficient at dissipating heat that way. Unless your book is a real lap warmer, it probably will stay within specs. But, if you are concerned, I would use a temperature monitoring utility to check temperature open and in clamshell mode. If it gets too hot, you can either avoid clamshell mode, or use other cooling methods like a laptop stand or cool pad.

Enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.