G3 mac second hand - no password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Hi!

Ive just got a g3 imac from ebay with ox9 installed, they have two accounts set up, the administrator and a limited account - i have no password for the administrator account so have no control over the computer, i cant even install osx from the student account as 'i dont have enough privallages to change the boot disk' - any help would be great :)

:)
RiverCottage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hi!

Ive just got a g3 imac from ebay with ox9 installed, they have two accounts set up, the administrator and a limited account - i have no password for the administrator account so have no control over the computer, i cant even install osx from the student account as 'i dont have enough privallages to change the boot disk' - any help would be great :)

RiverCottage

Just hold down the C key whilst booting with the CD in the drive. You'll have to rebuild the machine completely though.

If you can, I suggest installing OS X 10.3.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Thanks for a super quick reply, all is working well and osx slowly installing itself :)

..gosh ive wanted a green imac for many a year now! now finaly have one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for a super quick reply, all is working well and osx slowly installing itself :)

..gosh ive wanted a green imac for many a year now! now finaly have one!

Excellent... how much RAM do you have?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Its got 192mb i think, so should be ok, im not expecting fluidity and speed, just a bit of nice :) turn of the dock and some other things..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its got 192mb i think, so should be ok, im not expecting fluidity and speed, just a bit of nice :) turn of the dock and some other things..?

Ouch... the extra RAM really helps in those old machines, but yeah it should run... well... stroll is probably a more appropriate word!

Reaction score
I have 360meg of ram in my iMac.. Can run just about anything, one at a time.. I'll eventually move it up to 512..

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Well, its all loaded on now, a little slow booting but im impressed with how it runs so well!

RiverCottage

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.