Naive question from a mac newbie

Reaction score
When opening new windows, is there a one-click means to which users can enlarge a window to fullscreen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Nope! Macs don't do that. Their zoom function zooms the window to the full size it needs, but not necessarily full screen. One of those things you have to get used to. Mac OS X isn't Windows - some things are different.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's a serious drag. Why would one want, say in firefox, to have web pages open only partially? I love OS-X but can't believe that this works in with its otherwise fantastic systen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You have to take it all in balance. Mac OS X isn't necessarily perfection, just a WHOLE lot closer to it than Windows. There a few niggles like this that could yet be improved - gives us something to look forward to in Leopard!

Reaction score
That's a serious drag. Why would one want, say in firefox, to have web pages open only partially? I love OS-X but can't believe that this works in with its otherwise fantastic systen.

Once you open Firefox, you can drag it to full screen from the lower right hand corner. Next time it opens, it will be full screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The design is such that the application is responsible for what it thinks should be a full size window. So arguably a browser should know that you want the window be as long as it can be, and as wide as the web page you one on.

I consider this one of the inconsistencies of OS X, but still like it better than the Windows way, well most of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Having a program taking up a full screen, especially on widescreen monitors, is the rigid, Windows way of doing things. OS X is designed to make it easier to switch between programs in layered, flexible way. Stretch a browser window to fill the whole screen and you usually end up with two large white panels on either side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I've only been using OSX since Friday and had wondered that too. So far, it's the one thing I miss from XP. Everything else is better the Mac way so far. :)

Having said that, I think Alexis has made a good point. I can see where they're coming from - after over a decade of being a Windows user I guess it will take some getting used to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.