Transfering Files Using LAN From PC to Mac

Oz3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook - 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo - 2GB RAM - 80 GB HD
Hello, so I was looking to set up a network of types between my mac and my pc. I wanted to get a ton of music from one to the other. I found a site that tells you how its done (http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/). It seems fairly easy, but one part confused me, and it is the crutial part.

Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:

* smb://DNSname/ShareName
* smb://IPaddress/ShareName

Can anyone help me with what I need to put there? Thanks you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I would go with the IP Address as it will bypass any potential DNS issues during the procedure. To find your windows IP address goto start then run and at the run line type command

A command propt will open. In this type ipconfig then hit enter
You will now have your IP address.

On a MAC to find it click on the apple then system preferences. Click network.
On the drop down menu next to SHOW select the type of connection you are using. Airport for wireless and built-in ethernet for network cable. If you are using a firewire cable built-in firewire. Now select the TCP/IP button that has just become available and you will see your MAC's IP address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
Nice one 05GT :cool:

I was getting very frustrated trying to see my pc's drives.

Why does the tutorial on apples website not mention having to do the connect thing?????????

You are a star :mac:

Reaction score
The icing on the cake is to drop the mounted drive into your Login Items which is in your User Account. Then when you login you have your share mounted for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the great info and link!

I'm stuck on one part. I've set up a home office network on my PC and I am at the stage where I enter my IP address from my PC into my Mac under Go -> connect to server. When I type in the IP as instructed, my Mac tries to connect for a minute or 2 and then reports that the connection failed. I also added the specific folder name and got the same result. It says some data could not be read or written.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am not connected to the internet and instead I am setting up a direct connection between the two without any internet connect.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't think so. I have a fresh install of Win XP and I've networked with other computers before. I have most of my data on a slave hard drive. I might just get an enclosure and connect it directly to the Mac. would there be any problems doing that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.