New G5 with questions..

C

Carolyn

Good evening! This is my first post on the boards and my first Mac that I will be receiving by FedEx tomorrow! I am so beyond excited and I am hoping that I will not be let down by the G5 performance. I tend to do the usual stuff on PC's which include surfing the net, instant messaging, some PS work and I game (UnrealTournament, etc)

I picked the G5 because of it's speed and silence, but above all I wanted a machine that would last me a long time from here on in.. I am hoping the massive upgrade capability of the G5 will hold me through the next few years. The PC world is beyond aggrivating and I am so done with the PC issues.. I talk to my computer techs about problems I have/had with my PC and the answer always seems to be.. "well just blow it out and reinstall".. how rediculous is that I say to myself.. So I have been blowing out my P3 every 6 months to a year.. I am hoping I won't ever have to deal with those problems again with my new Mac..

Althogh.. This brings me to the couple of questions I have for you all...

I will be hooking up to a network with my brother who will be on a PC.. Will I have problems playing games with him such as Unreal Tournament and or Halo?

Does anyone have a list of games that can be installed on Mac & PC with a single disk?

And my final question for this evening.....

The machine comes with 512 DDR.. I would like to upgrade to a Gig.. Any recommendations on what brand DDR to buy?

Thanks for all of your help and I am sure you will be seeing me around much more often after I get my G5!!! :)

Oh.. And one gripe about the Mac's.. You spend all this money on top of the line systems and they throw a GeForce 5200 in it? ICK!... Atleast the Radeon 9600 is a little bit better.. But you would think they would come standard with better Graphics Cards...

OP
S

StarManta

Any Blizzard games should come with both PC and Mac versions on the same disc. UT and Halo works fine between PC and Mac version IIRC.

OP
C

Carolyn

Excellent! Thank you.. :)

I will have to check those out..

I ordered the new UT2004 and also Halo a week or so ago.. So should be receiving them anyday now..

OP
S

StarManta

UT2004 isn't exactly out yet... :) Just the demo.
Speaking of which, has anyone managed to get a working version of the UT 2004 demo? All I've gotten is 4 corrupt downloads. Sigh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.