Quicktime and sleep mode

N

newmac

Hi everyone! I got my 1st mac a couple days ago (macbook pro) and so far I love everything about it. One small issue I have not been able to figure out is this:

When I'm watching movies/videos in quicktime the computer will keep dimming the display and, if I don't manually set it not to in the system preferences, going into sleep mode. Also, it seems that even though I can disable it from sleeping, it still will dim the display after a certain amount of time.

I was wondering if there was any way (similar to the way windows programs do) to disable my computer from sleeping, dimming the display, running a screen saver, etc while quicktime is playing. Wether it be a setting somewhere or a plug-in, I would really like to not have to manually change the settings back and forth all the time just so I can watch videos more then a few minutes long.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When I'm watching movies/videos in quicktime the computer will keep dimming the display and, if I don't manually set it not to in the system preferences, going into sleep mode. Also, it seems that even though I can disable it from sleeping, it still will dim the display after a certain amount of time.
Both of those symptoms can be avoided using the System Preferences. You will however need to manually set it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
yeah, I just set them to 'never' (though I only used to do this if I was doing some overnight rendering) I think that system prefs will come up with a little warning about setting sleep to never.

An alternative, is to use a different media player that supports full screen playback for free (I'm pretty sure you can only view full screen in quicktime if you pay for quicktime pro)
MPlayer and VLC would both do this, and your screen won't dim or sleep while in full screen playback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.