Is Symptico wireless compatible?

C

Constance

I am thinking about getting Sympatico's wireless home networking modem/router. I have Windows XP, so it's no problem. But I have a friend who comes from time to time with a MacBook (MacIntosh laptop). Can she connect wirelessly? This website says, "NO": http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=2712&catego But when I called Sympatico technical support they said they simply don't support configuring a Mac but that it should work with the modem. Seems to me there is conflicting information here. Web site says "NO", and Technical support says, "It should". Can anyone out there clear this up for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It appears that it will work, as long as you have the security information to let your mac know how to get into the network. If the security is given to the windows pcs with out letting the user know the encryption method or the key then you will not be able to get your mac on to the network unless you figure out what that information is from the pc. I would say it is very likely you can get it up and running, but you will have to set up the mac, it will not just work when they come over and want to use their computer on your network.

(I got the answer for the post from the website itself just twisting it to the mac side... good luck)

OP
C

Constance

Is Sympatico wireless compatible to Mac?

I posted this question in another forum and should've likely posted it here.

I am thinking about getting Sympatico's wireless home networking modem/router. I have Windows XP, so it's no problem. But I have a friend who comes from time to time with a MacBook (MacIntosh laptop). Can she connect wirelessly? This website says, "NO": http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cf...=2712&cate go But when I called Sympatico technical support they said they simply don't support configuring a Mac but that it should work with the modem. Seems to me there is conflicting information here. Web site says "NO", and Technical support says, "It should". Can anyone out there clear this up for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Mod's note: Merged threads.

Please don't cross post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes it will work. Routers and modems are OS independant. The only thing that won't work is the setup discs and/or software that is included. Their tech support cannot support it, so their website simply says "no, it won't work" to discourage people with Macs from calling them and expecting support for setup.
Quite a few companies do this because their techs are only trained in Windows. It is easier and a bit more diplomatic for the company to just say "no"... rather than to go on and explain that people with other OS's like Mac or Linux and such don't get full tech support because of the limited knowledge of the tech support staff.

:black:

OP
C

Constance

Yes it will work. Routers and modems are OS independant. The only thing that won't work is the setup discs and/or software that is included. Their tech support cannot support it, so their website simply says "no, it won't work" to discourage people with Macs from calling them and expecting support for setup.
Quite a few companies do this because their techs are only trained in Windows. It is easier and a bit more diplomatic for the company to just say "no"... rather than to go on and explain that people with other OS's like Mac or Linux and such don't get full tech support because of the limited knowledge of the tech support staff.

:black:

Thank you. I wondered if that were not the reason behind it all.

OP
C

Constance

It appears that it will work, as long as you have the security information to let your mac know how to get into the network. If the security is given to the windows pcs with out letting the user know the encryption method or the key then you will not be able to get your mac on to the network unless you figure out what that information is from the pc. I would say it is very likely you can get it up and running, but you will have to set up the mac, it will not just work when they come over and want to use their computer on your network.

(I got the answer for the post from the website itself just twisting it to the mac side... good luck)

Thank you. Sounds like it should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.