• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Verizon FiOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am thinking about upgrading to Verizon FiOS, a Fiber Optic System. I am curious how many people on these forums have FiOS and what is the performance gain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
lucky, i'm waiting for them to bring it to my area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
FIOS, in one word, is amazing.

Its the next best thing to living in a telco carrier hotel. Unless you've been running a fractional DS3 into your house, it will be a huge upgrade in performance.

Reaction score
I hate FIOS. FIOS bites the big one. FIOS is crap. FIOS is evil.

I can't get FIOS :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
like how fast you really want your connection to be? i don't have any reason for me to be upgrading to fios, my 750kbps is just enough..........................................lol its a sour grape, too bad its not available to my area proximity is my limiting factor, heck am still lucky that im getting dsl.

What connection do you have PBG4? Fios, should be in the, at least 2.0Mbps or more. get it if you can it is amazingly fast!

Reaction score
I have Charter cable. I'm getting the advertised 3Mbps download when traffic in my neighborhood isn't heavy but my upload is only 256Kbps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have the 20/5 plan for the 10/2 price because i am amazing at haggling on the phone but really some of my friends 1mbit connections seem just as fast
-chris

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
like how fast you really want your connection to be? i don't have any reason for me to be upgrading to fios, my 750kbps is just enough..........................................lol its a sour grape, too bad its not available to my area proximity is my limiting factor, heck am still lucky that im getting dsl.

What connection do you have PBG4? Fios, should be in the, at least 2.0Mbps or more. get it if you can it is amazingly fast!

I have DSL, I don'tk now my speed, but its not that fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP- 2.4GHz (13-inch), 8GB, 250GB; Mac mini 2.0, 2GB, 120GB HD; 2017 iPad 9.7, iPhone 11Pro (64GB)
I am thinking about upgrading to Verizon FiOS, a Fiber Optic System. I am curious how many people on these forums have FiOS and what is the performance gain?

I've been using Verizon's FIOS a little over six months now, and honestly I can't tell a difference between it and their DSL service I previously had.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.