• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xbox 360 : Gears of War

Reaction score
If you have a 360, then this game is a must have. Heck, if you don't have a 360... then this game alone is reason enough to go out and purchase one..

Gotta get back to the mayhem!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea I should be getting it but it's not out in the Uk until this Friday so I'll hate to wait till then :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I picked mine up on Wednesday and I must say it's one of the best looking games I have played in some time. Not to mention it is just overall awesome!

OP
Reaction score
I picked mine up on Wednesday and I must say it's one of the best looking games I have played in some time. Not to mention it is just overall awesome!

You've gotta love the chainsaw kills and the curbstomp!! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
Totally, this game is just insanely good. One of the few times a game has lived up to the hype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
OVerall this game GoW, blow all games in terms of graphics and sounds. insanely graphics and cinematic sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Nintendo Wii oorr Gears of War? Debating...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I beat it less than 24 hours of owning it.. Just started it on Hardcore this morning.

OP
Reaction score
I beat it less than 24 hours of owning it.. Just started it on Hardcore this morning.

My buddy has been telling me that defeating the final monster on Hardcore is **** near impossible...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah.. It's pretty tough to beat RAAM even on Casual.. Took me a lot of time of constantly trying.. There are a couple different strategies/weapon combos that I've tried that work fairly well..

When I bought this game, it was a toss-up between Call of Duty 3 and GoW.. So I bought both.. Currently playing CoD3 on Veteran difficulty.. Just beat the American campaign, now on the British..

OP
Reaction score
Yeah.. It's pretty tough to beat RAAM even on Casual.. Took me a lot of time of constantly trying.. There are a couple different strategies/weapon combos that I've tried that work fairly well..

When I bought this game, it was a toss-up between Call of Duty 3 and GoW.. So I bought both.. Currently playing CoD3 on Veteran difficulty.. Just beat the American campaign, now on the British..

Yep,
I picked of COD 3 also, but it's still in the plastic along with Fear and NFS Carbon. That's just how much fun GOW is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't much care for CoD3. They fixed a lot of things that were really bad about CoD2, like the very generous sniper rifle, but they took a lot of the good things out, like the radar showing gunshots, 1 smack kills, and vaulting obstacles. It seems like they tried to mimic battlefield with Farcry: Instincts like gameplay. Not ot mention that those instant spawns are just plain dumb, in my opinion. Maybe I'm being harsh but it doesn't help when 5 minutes into the game (on multiplayer) I get stuck IN a wall by trying to hop on a motorcycle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I don't know what you're talking about not being able to vault over things.. You can, it just doesn't say "hold A to jump over".. As far as the AI goes, it's identical t o CoD2 if you ask me.. The game in general is just a step up of CoD2... A lot more detail, better graphics, the particles/debris effects are cool too.

There are "1-smack" kills still too.

The multiplayer doesn't have the CoD feel to it, but it's still really good.. The maps are too big I think. They should at least have a couple small ones for those days that are slow on Live when t here are 5 people in a game. There still is the radar that blips red whenever it goes off.. Maybe the games you played, the host had it turned off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that's good to hear. I was playing some 1v1 with my roommate. I guess we need to mess with the game options more. Still, though, what did they do to the sniper in CoD3? That's a little over the top don't you think? I know I cited this as a good thing, but all they really had to do was make it a 1-shot head/body shot; 2-shot anywhere else, which it seems they did; but they didn't have to make it nearly impossible to aim. BTW have you noticed if the trench gun has been weakened at all? It really annoyed me how overpowered that was in 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.