Macbook Pro and what to expect? (and mighty mouse)

C

chrisaw

EDIT: Sorry mods, posted this in the wrong subject area by accident. Could someone move it? Thanks.

Well... I'm anxious for my new macbook pro to arrive which I ordered on the 2nd of November. It's scheduled to be shipped on the 16th and arrive with me for the 28th (both estimates). Firstly, do people generally get them before this or after?

My specs (pasted) are as following:

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-2x1GB
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive 8X
17" Glossy Widescreen Display
No Modem
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS-B
Country Kit-B

(Just so everyone knows, that's with the 256MB of GDDR3 GFX RAM and has the latest Core 2 Duo processor.)

Do these machines game well? I intend to play World of Warcraft and judging from the specs it should run that like a dream. But what about more "intense" games such as doom 3? And what about games that will only run on windows? I've been reading up on bootcamp and it seems very simple to get windows working. I have been through pretty much every linux distro on the planet (including Gentoo) so I find things like this fairly simple now ;) But how well do the drivers run? Is it possible/better to get the latest drivers from the chipset manufacturers or are they apple modded?

Now for a side question.... the mighty mouse... what are people opinions of these? Apparently they're hard to click, right click doesn't work right, the "ball" feature stops working after round about 2 months, etc. Does anyone here have the same experience?

Thanks a lot.

OP
D

DrTom

(Hello, I'm not able to offer any opinion about the 'book (apart from lucky you!) , but the MightyMouse I know!

I found it difficult at first (about a week) with the right-click, sometimes I would have to find its 'sweet spot' in order for it to work. However once you re-train your finger it rules.

Thinking about this, it would seem that it is just like any 2 button mouse, but the buttons are just a bit different in their placement, people put a bit of nagative light on this aspect, but I fail to see the complication as the positive overall quality, look and feel (in my opinion) outweighs the initial (and relatively small) complication.

The scroll-wheel however has caused me a bit of bother - It is true, and is well documented on the internet (thank god, otherwise I would have thought it was broken!) that they 'clog' up, giving a feeling that there is no resistance on it when you roll it.

I ended up turning it upside down and pushing the ball very hard against the cardboard (I could have stood on it) while rolling it - it unjammed but I thought for a while it was all over for the mouse.

Like all things, it has its positive and negative sides. It is a bit more expensive than a 3rd party mouse that has near the same functionality, but we are mac users right?

I hope this helps!

OP
C

chrisaw

See I wish to do some casual gaming (like counterstrike source) from time to time and for that purpose it seems like a razer mouse is the way forward. Simply because apparently the option to left and right click simultaniously isn't there... is this so?

Thanks.

OP
D

DrTom

I don't know and I left my mighty 180 miles away at my house so I can't test! Sorry!

But if you are gaming, maybe the mighty mouse's resolution will be inferiour to the razer? I'm sure the mighty mouse wasn't made with extreme button-hammering gaming in mind anyway :)

OP
C

chrisaw

yea I think I'm probably better off with the razer :) Thanks for that =D

Excited now! My macbook is estimated to ship tomorrow and arrive on the 28th. The apple online store people said it usually arrives way before then so with a bit of luck (and a bit of fast shipping) I'll be on one =D Apparently they might send it by UPS and I've had nothing but pleasure from those guys with overseas shipping before so gotta hope :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.