Switching... but what to switch to?

H

Hoosier

My coworker has convinced me to buy a Mac. I've been in the market for a good laptop for quite awhile, and I think the Mac might be the best choice.

Here's my problem, do I get a 12 inch or 15 inch powerbook? I am a college student, so I get discounts from apple.

I can get a 12 inch Superdrive, with RAM upgraded to 513MB and HDD upgrade to 80GB and the Airport Extreme card, basically identical to the 15 inch Superdrive, without the blacklit keyboard and 250 MHz less processor speed. All that for about 1500 after savings and discounts.

OR

I could get a 15 inch powerbook with a HDD upgrade to 80GB with 5400 RPM for about 2000.

So, my question really is... is the extra screen space and a little more processing power worth 500 bucks?

**Incase you were wondering, I have to get some sort of upgrade to get more savings, so it is cheaper with the upgrades.

OP
F

Fomer

Since your a college student I suggest 14 inch Ibook. If your deadset on a powerbook then go with 12.

OP
H

Hoosier

Just for a little added info that might help in giving advice...

I plan on using it mostly for Office-type applications, Word, Excel, Access. I also will obviously be using it for internet browsing. I will also use it some for movie editing.

The problem with an Ibook is I don't get as many discounts and I am somewhat of a nerd. By the time I get RAM upgrades and such that would be good enough for me, it is as much as a powerbook would cost me.

OP
F

Fomer

I see with the Ibook.

Then yeah I'd go with 12 inch pb.... 15 is a bit much to tote back from classes. Unless, you will be leaving it in the dorm then bigger is better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I think smaller is better.. I want a maxed out 12'' iBook or PB.. :D

OP
S

StarManta

I have a 15" PBook and it works great for carrying to classes... sorry if I'm confusing you more :/

OP
H

Hoosier

StarManta said:
I have a 15" PBook and it works great for carrying to classes... sorry if I'm confusing you more :/

No problem, I didn't expect there to be a consenus on it anyway, just thought I would ask around a little. I'm about 90% sure I want to go with the 15". 250 Mhz more power and 32MB more memory on the graphics card. So what is an extra 500 bucks? I'm sure I'll change my mind a few more times though.

edit: Right after I posted this I started thinking about the merits of a 12 inch, why can't Apple just make one size to save me the decision making?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.