Airport networking woes

O

oliverd2006

I am having a small problem with connecting to the Internet via Airport.
At the moment I am writing this question from a direct connection from the cable modem to the ethernet port, which generates an IP address of the form 86.2.XXX.XXX and does connect successfully. However, when I connect the same cable to the Airport Extreme Hub, the IP address generated reverts to the default 10.0.1.1. and as a result fails to connect entirely to the outside world (the AirPort Extreme hub does however still work as a local hub), even after repeatedly resetting it.

Is there any way of fixing this small problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
It may be a problem with your ISP. Often ISP's require you register the MAC address of the computer or router you are using. If this is the case, you have two possible solutions.

1. MAC address cloning through your router. Have your router display your computer's MAC address.

2. Call your ISP and register your router's MAC address.

OP
O

oliverd2006

It definetly isn't a problem with my ISP: up to a certain point, the connection worked perfectly. Tests were run on the cable modem when I called them up for help and it was shown that it worked perfectly. As far as I know, there was no requirement to register the MAC address since the modem is the property of the ISP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.