apple care for imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
hey there

i have just bought an imac ! :D:D

but

i would like to know if when ii purchase the apple care. can i do it after the 1 year waranty that comes with the imac or do i have to do it now.

also

does the apple care for the imac cover parts and labour?

thanks

chris tm :D

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I was told that I can purchase the Apple Care anytime before the 1 year warranty runs out.

Check out the APpple Website to actually see what the Care covers but I would assume it covers Parts and Labour otherwise it's kind of pointless.

Reaction score
christm, you have until midnight on the last day of your complimentary 1 year warranty to purchase the AppleCare Extended Warranty. All parts/labour are covered if it is deemed to be a warranty repair, but software issues aren't covered AFAIK.

*Edit* oh, congratulations too, by the way!:flower:

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you very much guys!

ya i cant wait !

thanks Pulse -8 for the congrats.

cheers

ctm :D:D:D:D:D

Reaction score
I may well purchase this before the end of my 1st year. Having said that I've never really had any hardware reliability problems in the past with my old pc's.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i purchased it for my ibook in summer 2005 and i havnt had to use it yet. but i always like to have it for peace of mind.

thankyou to everyone who answered to my question

cheers

chris tm :)

Reaction score
It is also very good because you get free phone support for 3 years, I have it on both my iMacs and my macbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
Apple care does not cover any kind of software issues. But if anything else goes wrong which is under the general category of "normal wear and tear" or "defect" it should be covered. The phone support is also what you are paying for. I haven't had to use it yet on my two week old iMac, but I feel comfortable having it. I did lots of research before purchasing it, and Apple has award winning tech support. They even pay for your shipping when you need to ship it out to get repaired!

One of the main reasons I purchased it was because I was paranoid of my monitor dying on me. If my monitor died, I'd essentially be screwed, because my computer would be done for as well. Though technically there is a video out on an iMac, it would really be a hassle.

From what I've heard, Apple Care is really top notch. But since Macs are very reliable as it is, it's possible you'll never need it! But I feel comfortable knowing I have it, especially since I'm a new Mac user.

Reaction score
I also bought it cause i do all my editing on an imac and i figured if screen blows, then im does... also i beilive that if your drive fails, they will do recorvery.

Reaction score
I heard on MacBreak Weekly (podcast) that AppleCare can also be transferred from one computer to another should you upgrade.

I don't currently have AppleCare, but I'm planning to upgrade to an iMac from my mini when Leopard's launched. I'll buy AppleCare then, because of the monitor issues, the fact that I earn my living on this thing and use it about 14 hours a day, and AppleCare gives you on-site support.

Reaction score
Get it - I did, with an education discount, for £109. 3 months later my logic board was replaced and would have cost £500+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
In considering Apple Care you should consider whether you can afford to replace the item or not. The fact is that the expectation value of the repairs to an iMac have to be less than the Apple Care. Extended warranties/insurance would not exist if companies paid out more than they took in by selling them. In the last year I've purchased a considerable amount of electronics and with every purchase I was offered an extended warranty. Adding it up in my head it seems to me that the total amount of extended warranty I could have bought would be in the $3000 range (the Apple Care is pretty cheap as far as these things go). With the $3000 I saved by not buying them I can easily afford to replace any one item that I bought, even though statistics says that none should. In the long run you will be ahead financially if you do not buy extended warranties.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.