Tiger for 2.12 Ghz Intel 2 core duo iMac

N

nmrklover

I have on old G4 from 2000 and the OS disk from my new computer that was trashed—long terrible story... Can my old baby handle that specific version of Tiger? I hope I hope.

Thanks!
:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I used to run Tiger on a G3 500 iBook with 256mb RAM. Any G4 will run Tiger. The more RAM the better. Keep in mind that the 16mb video and slower RAM and Processor were intruduced in OS 9's hay day.

Bottom line is yes,...in a mediocre sort of way.

OP
N

nmrklover

thanks

my question is, will this particular Tiger run on my particular Mac? I bought Jaguar for iMac, older computer, and the guy told me that they make different versions of the OS for each type computer, so I would hate to install that OS and have it crash or do bad things to my computer. I love this old girl! I love her even more on OSX! Wouldn't want to spoil anything. That guy said he ran another version Jaguar, from another type, maybe laptop? and had big issues. Could be crazy, but I need to be cautious.

Anyone know if this is valid concern?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Discs that come with a mac are designed to only work with the mac they shipped with.

Retail box versions will work with any mac that that version supports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
my question is, will this particular Tiger run on my particular Mac? I bought Jaguar for iMac, older computer, and the guy told me that they make different versions of the OS for each type computer, so I would hate to install that OS and have it crash or do bad things to my computer. I love this old girl! I love her even more on OSX! Wouldn't want to spoil anything. That guy said he ran another version Jaguar, from another type, maybe laptop? and had big issues. Could be crazy, but I need to be cautious.

Anyone know if this is valid concern?

OS X that comes with an Intel MAC will not work with a non Intel MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
But it wil work on another Intel IMac.

But that's no help to you...!

OP
N

nmrklover

I got my G4 right before they came out with 750 mHz, when mine was the fastest computer on the market. June 2000. It got slower when I got printer, but mostly just took a few seconds longer to start up. I've never had much of a complaint. Then I got OSX, and I feel like I'm on a racetrack. I love this computer still, and OSX is so much better than 9, if I had lots of money to throw around, I probably would not give up my G4—although I will add some storage space, things like that, I really intend to use this computer until it's obsolete, and won't work anymore. That's what I love about Mac, it's made for that! Why behave like MS when I'm in Mac-world? I may get another Intel for family member, but I'm not into wasting, and Mac supports that view. We don't need more computers filling up the dumps, especially when Mac is so great, fast, and long-lasting.

Thanks for your help, and I'll just stick to Panther until I can get hold of Tiger. It's just gmail doesn't have email notification for Panther, dang f***ers.

They should have started with a slower cat and moved up to jaguar, which is much faster cat than tiger!:alien:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.