MacBook Casing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 duo
I have a new macbook. When looking around the perimeter of the mac (especially where the jacks and ports are located on the left) I noticed that there is a slight gap between where the glossy white casing meets the off-white interior. The gap in the area above the left side is only a couple inches long and the gap is fractions of a milimeter but you notice the space in between. Almost as if it is warped along the top in that area to make a space. I tried applying pressure to push it into the casing but it comes back up. Does anyone else have this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Your top casing (the part that comprises the keyboard, etc) connects to the bottom half of the casing with several clips.

It sounds to me that your case isn't assembled properly. Time to visit your local Apple Store Genius Bar or give Apple a call for a repair.

I had this same problem on the CD/DVD slot side after my MacBook came back from the Random Shutdown fix-- the technician didn't put the 'book back together correctly and not only did I have a similar gap on my computer but I couldn't get CDs in. Aggravated, I returned to the store, but they fixed it right there.

Good luck!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 duo
Do you think this is common to have slight gaps in casing in a new 'book'? It doesn't affect the functionality, it just doesn't look as flush as it should be in that area.

Reaction score
mine was that way when i got it delivered brand new. it isnt anything to worry about, you can not even notice it unless you push on it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
"Common?" I don't know. I've seen some Macs come from the factory with little flaws like that. My iBook had a corner that was always loose, and while it was kind of annoying I didn't worry about it. I finally had it fixed when I brought it in for another problem.

If you're near an Apple Store it might be worth having them check it out. It all depends on how much it bothers you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.