• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The ultimate switch?

Reaction score
Hows this for a switch...

I'm a former Microsoft Employee :bomb:

Today I picked up my Macbook Pro 15.4" notebook with the Core2Duo processor and 2GB or RAM. The unboxing began promptly....

mac1.jpg

mac2.jpg

mac3.jpg

mac4.jpg

mac5.jpg

mac6.jpg

mac7.jpg

mac8.jpg

Will Windows be dead to me? No. I'm not a fan"anything" I use what tool best fits the job. Right now I'm waiting to get in on the VMware Fusion beta. For those of you that don't know, Fusion is VMware's competitor to Parallels. Unlike Parallels, Fusion lets you have two virtual processors. I got to take Fusion for a test drive this week at VMworld. I promptly called my VMware rep (My company is a VMware partner) and asked to be placed on the beta. I'm actually going to try to convince my company to switch....

Also, I'm going to P2V my work laptop (a stinkpad) so that I can run it as my VM at work.

This should be fun :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Congratulations on your new purchase! & thank you for the unboxing images:)

Well, I kind of went through the same process a while back and looking at those images bring back the old memories. Currently I use three OSs (OS X, Linux and Windows XP) but my main system is OS X. I am sure you will love it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well I use OSX for nearly everything at Home, although I have a Vista Build and a BootCamp WinXP running and unfortunately at College I'm stuck using a Windows 2000.

I doubt it will be your last time using Windows, as unfortunately there bound to be something that ties you back well mine is Windows Programming which strangely enough you can't do on a Mac. And I'm sure you'll find the one product (or two) you can't live without that draws up back to MS once in a while.

Although it's become a drag working on Windows after being on OSX for a short while....Shame :(

Enjoy though and I wouldn't sell your Windows Laptop just yet.

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
I also have to support Windows. My VMware ESX environment runs over 300 Win2k3, Win2k, and WinXP virtual machines. There are only a couple Novell and Redhat instances running on it.

I figure I'll have to eventually run Vista and even Longhorn server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
BTW You got enough files on your XP Desktop?

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
Its not for sale. Its the word doc I printed out for the laptop. I stupidly left it up by accident.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nice, love the microsoft mouse in the picture though... :)

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
Well, that's for the Dell :)

But if you've used MS mice, you'd probably admit that they are actually pretty darn good. MS and Logitech are pretty close in building good quality mice with Logitech holding the edge.

BTW, I did install an MS wireless optical mouse 4000 on the Macbook Pro. I'm just not a fan of touch pads. However I must admit that the Apple touch pad is VASTLY superior to the one on the Dell. The level of control is much higher.

So yesterday I copied all of my music to the Mac and started sync'ing it with my 5G iPod. I also installed FireFox, Bit Torrent, TechTool Deluxe, and Parallels. I'm hoping to be on VMware's Friends and Family group by the end of the week. That should allow me access to their Fusion Beta. I'll write up a comparison when I've had a chance to mess with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well, that's for the Dell :)

But if you've used MS mice, you'd probably admit that they are actually pretty darn good. MS and Logitech are pretty close in building good quality mice with Logitech holding the edge.

BTW, I did install an MS wireless optical mouse 4000 on the Macbook Pro. I'm just not a fan of touch pads. However I must admit that the Apple touch pad is VASTLY superior to the one on the Dell. The level of control is much higher.

The MS mouse us very good indeed. I got the Apple one, just for the **** of it, but there is nothing wrong with the MS mouse.

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
I just realized something. I'm zipping along and think that I would like my mouse to match my Apple. ***, I've caught that Apple aesthetic disease ;)

Anyone know of a mouse that physically matches the appearance of the MacBook Pro? I won't buy one if it doesn't work well, but all at least take a gander.

Now I've got to go find the cheapest Photoshop and Office licenses I can. I can get by with using them on my XP VM but my intention here is to make this a complete switch. Eventually the only reason I'll have for my XP VM is so I can use it in the office.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.