Problems with EarthLink Total Access

Reaction score
It just took over 5 minutes to open this page. My laptop is so slow. I've never had it move this slow before. I'm on dial up and just switched servers. I now have earthlink. Last night it was quite fast and I downloaded a program called total access which has an accelerated function. I think it's doing the opposite! I've restarted it and repaired permissions. What else can I do? Should I dump the program?
My eMac desktop is doing fine and I downloaded the same program onto it.
I'm also having problems getting connected on this laptop.
But no problems with the eMac.
HELP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the URL for that program? Sounds like an accelerator of some kind. I did not know anyone made one for OSX. I avoid them at all costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It just took over 5 minutes to open this page. My laptop is so slow. I've never had it move this slow before. I'm on dial up and just switched servers. I now have earthlink. Last night it was quite fast and I downloaded a program called total access which has an accelerated function. I think it's doing the opposite! I've restarted it and repaired permissions. What else can I do? Should I dump the program?
My eMac desktop is doing fine and I downloaded the same program onto it.
I'm also having problems getting connected on this laptop.
But no problems with the eMac.
HELP
The Total Access software is quite uneccessary and takes up much more space than it is worth. The "speed" booster only compresses web page graphics to allow the site to load a small amount faster. It in no way speeds up your connection. Dial-up quality will not be consistent between computers and connection speed and quality can and most likely will fluctuate from day to day.
Your best best is to dump the software.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
I think it's all dumped. I spotlighted "total access" and dumped from there. Anywhere else I should look?
Ibook is still crawling tho. anything else I can do to help it? It has never moved this slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
restart your computer
-chris

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
I did that. It took 12 min now to get to this point :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which iBook is this? CPU like G3, G4 Etc, Mhz, Amount of RAM? 12 minutes sounds like the XP system I just worked on today with so many Virus's that I lost count! Also which version of OSX are you running?

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Which iBook is this? CPU like G3, G4 Etc, Mhz, Amount of RAM? 12 minutes sounds like the XP system I just worked on today with so many Virus's that I lost count! Also which version of OSX are you running?

It's the G4, 1.33 GHz, 512RAM. I've never had any problems til I switched over to earthlink. could I have gotten a virus from them somehow?? Or from the program, total access?? Now I'm nervous! What kind of virus's are you seeing and how are the Macs getting them?
I'm running OSX 10.4.7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that very machine with same specs and even amount of RAM. On the little I have to use Dialup it's as fast as dialup can go. There are no Virus's at the moment for OSX in the wild. I am wondering if that Total Access messed something up in OSX. Do you have your OSX DVD that came with the iBook? I would try an Archive and Install and reinstall. If you choose Archive and Install none of your files or settings will be lost. Something is messed up in the OS. Mine is as fast as the day I bought it 1 year ago now. Hope that helps you out.

Also what speed are you connecting to Earthlink's dialup? That would not make your machine take that long to boot but it could make the internet go very slow if you are getting a slow connect. I get 50.333 here when I am stuck with Dialup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For sure try out Devilboy's suggestions first. That might fix it.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Just $#$%$ great! :( I'm running at 21600 on my dialup right now. I've never reinstalled anything before. yes, I have the DVD that came with my ibook but I'm afraid I'll loose everything on it and I can't afford that.
I'll look at those sites that you guys gave me and see if it's simple for ME.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
I already trashed the whole total access but i did it the hard way. Piece by piece. Spotlight isn't showing anymore of that crap.
so, it's gone. Do you think running at 21600 would cause the ibook to run this slow? It's a bit faster right now. But still slow. Slower than before the total access.
Do you think I will need to start all over and reinstall? Oh man - I hope not.
I'm going to get on the emac and get rid of that total access the easy and correct way.

ok.... even tho it's on the emac, I'm going to post here since it's all in the same subject. The got it off the emac except for one file. Going to Library > Pref. panes > there's a total access in there but it won't allow me to trash it. It says it's owned by root. What does that mean?? How can I get rid of it?
Thanks....

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
I'm on the eMac right now and it's running at 24000 - a bit of a difference than the ibook. How can that be on the same phone line? When on the ibook today, I can't get a connection out unless I unplug the phone cord and re connect on the ibook. Like there's a loose connection. Could it be a bad phone cord??
I'm grasping at straws now. The eMac is running fine for dial up anyway.
But I'm getting that total access OFF.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
eMac

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes...
I'm on an eMac OSX 10.2 system. I just switched servers to earthlink. I downloaded their total access program - BIG mistake. So, I then uninstalled it but it won't allow one folder to delete. The stupid icon is still in system pref. and if you go to Library > pref. panes folder > there is a total access folder and when I try to trash that one, I get a error message saying that it can't be deleted because it is owned by root.
So, I call earthlink support and they basically say they can't do anything and that I would have to call apple to have them remove it. I told them -- it's not apple's program or apple's fault. It's earthlinks. It's earthlinks program.
The guy then tries to put the blame on me by telling my that I must have uninstalled it unproperly and that it is corupted now. I told him, "well, I got the step by step instructions off YOUR website!
So, can anyone help me with getting this crappy program folder off my emac?
Earthlink is supposed to call me tomorrow - but the guy said that they are just going to tell me the same thing -- call apple.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
either. Since you have a one button mouse, CTRL-CLICK. I can understand your frustration with Earthlink. I hope the URL helps. If not let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.