Various issues after install

E

Earl Hickey

I purchased a G3 iMac on eBay for my kids and loved it. I upgraded the 6GB HDD with a 40GB spare I had and re-installed OS 10.3.

Problem #1: I have no sound. I had audio prior to the upgrade. Assuming all cables are still attached, what is my next step in troubleshooting?

Problem #2: It's been a week with the above as my only problem, but tonight I realized that Installer and Disk Utility are not working. When I try starting them, they briefly display in the dock then disappear. HELP!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would go back and double check the connections.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you have the install media, I would try running disk utility from the install media and then do a repair permissions.

OP
E

Earl Hickey

I've tried that, and I can't even get that far. I get the screen asking to set the language, and it seems to freeze then go to a blue screen. I left it alone for nearly 2 hours before pulling the plug and starting over. Is there any other way to repair permissions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.