• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wi-Fi Security

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Now that I have airport, wireless security has been on my mind. Here's an interesting article today at http://www.news.com. The story is about an update to WinXP, but it has some interesting Wi-Fi security developments...

Microsoft on Monday released a Windows XP update designed to enhance security for computers that connect to wireless networks.

The software update would change how the operating system connects to 802.11, or Wi-Fi, networks or base stations. Under the older method, one encrypted key is used by everyone connecting to the wireless network. The update would provide a means of associating a separate key for each computer connecting to the network, a change that in theory should increase security.

Businesses are increasingly concerned about wireless security, particularly since a breach through a single base station could expose an otherwise fortified network to infiltration by hacking or snooping.

The update adds support for Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), which is intended to replace the current standard, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). WPA has been approved by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which is the group responsible for establishing standards governing wireless networking.

"The weakness of WEP as part of the 802.11 standards has been clearly demonstrated," said Jupiter Research analyst Michael Gartenberg. "Since security remains one of the biggest inhibitors of Wi-Fi deployments, Microsoft felt the need to step in and offer an integrated OS alternative."

Still, Gartenberg remained cautious about the WPA update. "Given Microsoft's track record on security, this initiative is going to require very careful scrutiny before most users will feel comfortable with deployment," he said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
again Apple prevails as the more secure OS.. now if they could work on the range of Airport 802.11g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah. I think if they dont update it this summer, im going to get the old airport. (gettin an iBook, if they put airport extreem into it can it work on old airport stations?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ya airport extreme is backwards compatible to the 802.11b airport bases. i think the range is depepndent solely on the base not the card in your iBook

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
For me, security is the main issue in, why I have not gone wireless as of yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Schweb, can you source that info in the first post, please....

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by Emrys@Mar 31 2003, 02:52 PM
Schweb, can you source that info in the first post, please....
I did orignally, but I'm not sure why it didn't create a link...it's there now though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I've enabled WEP and made my network private so you have to know the network name to access it. Hopefully that will help. Oh and I created this really long, cryptic password too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's the way to do it... you used a 128bit key right?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by Emrys@Apr 1 2003, 06:22 AM
that's the way to do it... you used a 128bit key right?
Oh absolutely!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is this process documented some where? I would like to see how a wireless private secure network is set up. Before I go and buy.

Reaction score
Sorry but I've just registered and probably missed this answer somewhere else,but basically I've had my macbook for a year and my neighbour just told me he can connect to the internet through my broadband....in laymans terms how do i prevent this? Apologies again if this has been asked before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.